My methods as an SPL

I am now an Eagle Scout, but I recently discovered this place.

Last year I was an SPL, and rather than being a typical cookie cutter SPL, I tried things a little different, at summer camp especially.

As soon as we settled into camp, I had the troop gather up. I told all of our leaders, but 1, to head down to the waterfront/medical hub. This one leader was one who I could trust. I got up, and told our scouts this, or something similar.

"For alot of us, we've been to summercamp before, we know what to expect of ourselves and others. This week, I want you guys to take advantage of everything, you guys might be thinking your parents just wanted to get rid of you for a week, but you guys are here for your own good. Now as you all know, I play football. Well let me start off by saying this, I get yelled at, and yell enough during practice, that I don't want to have to do it here. You guys are all scouts, you're here to be men, and I don't want to discipline you. Remember, that what you do, good, or bad, will leave a lasting impression on me, others, but more importantly, yourself. The decisions are yours to make, the advantages are yours to take, so lets be men out here this week."

My reasoning behind that speech. I've dealt with leaders who think that yelling is the only way to fix things long enough, I'm sick of it. Rather than do what they do, I put it on the scouts to not only represent themselves, but their troop.

I prefer to run the troop much like Pete Carroll, the head coach of USC runs his team. A laid back atmosphere, but the discipline are there.

There was one incident however. A scout refused to report to server duty that night. Rather than yell, I just asked him "how do you want to be remembered man? How do you want to be remembered?" It was enough to send the guy on his way to the mess hall.

Yah. Yeh know, I always wonder why we don't have youth teachin' at least part of the adult leader sequence. Some things, like C-Bolt's description of the "yeller" Scouter, are best conveyed by those who are still youth. They also still remember things like what it felt like to be a scared 10-year-old on his first troop campout, or worried about swim check at camp, or....

C-Bolt, my hats off to you. You are that rare Scout who is not "too cool" for Scouts and play sports too. There is also a football player in my troop. I love it when he addresses the troop. My favorite is "When you wear that Scout uniform, you REPRESENT this Troop, this community....". You know, you've heard it. Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

C-Bolt,

Congratulations on earning Eagle.

I like your style, very similar to my SPL. He never yells.

I teach my Green Bar that leadership does not mean yelling Clean Up, Get Breakfast Started, Patrol the area or Get Moving.

Leadership speaks qietly and says Join Me ---- Join Me in the task at hand.

We have a saying in our troop - Do Your Duty

and everyone in the troop knows our definition of duty

Duty - something you really don't want to do, but you do it anyway.

I wish you continued success young man.

YIS,

John