New Scout Patrol

We had our first new scout patrol of the year form up at the meeting tonight - 8 hi-octane fellows straight from Webelos. Choosing a patrol name was surprisingly difficult. They were deadlocked at 4 and 4 for a lonnnnng and highly vocal debate until one fellow suggested maybe a completely different name would be acceptable to everyone. They quickly chose "Black Jaguars" and went on to pen a pretty good ditty as the patrol yell. The diplomat? He was elected Patrol Leader. I'll be watching the dynamics in this new patrol with interest!

Need some advice.

It looks like the Black Jags will have two more of their old Den mates join us so they will be a patrol of 10 - a good size. AND, I've just learned that Pack #2 has 6 Webelos who are planning on joing our troop, and Pack#3 has another eight.

Given the fact that we have experienced a 30% attrition rate the first year (seems to be common, though regrettable), what are your feelings about forming two more patrols, or combining the fellows from Packs #2 and #3 into one big patrol? The two new groups will both be crossing over in late Feb. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each option?

It may be that some of these boys from different packs know each other from school and other activities. If that is the case, you may have a lot more flexibility then you think. With your retention rate, I would probably go with two patrols of 12 each to start (something about the number 12 that appeals to me and sounds scoutingish), rather than 3 patrols of 8. This may mean some dens split a little, but if some boys know each other then that may not be a big deal.

Now about that retention rate...

Trevorum,

I don't know if we should congatulate you or offer condolences...your next year is going to be real interesting (been there and done that). Such an influx of new scouts really kicked our troop in the pants. WE doubled troop size over night. It was very hard on the adult leaders and the older scouts. It was hard on the budget and

it led to if not earth shaking then certainly troop shaking changes.

Some questions...do you have a bunch of good troop guides ready willing and able? Do you have a bunch of ASM (also ready willing and able?) You are going to need to pull in as many of the new scout parents as you can...give them applications and get them to training. Impress on them that BSA is not baby sitters of America...(the only good thing I can say about that recruitment year is we picked up a butt load of parent leaders (nearly swept the packden leadership out of three packs).

Personally speaking,large patrols are BAD (and not in the good way0. The supersizes patrols are harder to control, harder to keep interested in "lessons" and IMHO harder to instill the patrol spirit...(we tried super sized patrols last year and the guys -all of them- could not name the members of their patrol...they formed two or three "gangs" within the patrols, some boys couldn't even remember who their patrol leaders were...result no unit cohesion...no patrol spirit.

If at all possible I would go with three "eights" particularly if you use the troop guide system...Most Scouts even older life or Eagle scouts will have a tougher time with 12 'hyper-wall-bangers' than with 8.

I believe that the smaller patrols will also allow you to have more 'controled' fun...with troop competitions and troop challenges...with three NSP you can "pit" the NSP's against each other rather than have them strive against older scout patrols. Patrol activities, hikes and campout (etc.) are easier on parents and the Guides in smaller numbers...

Within the patrols, (allowing for group dynamics)- three patrols will give the boys more chances at rotating patrol leader positions, on camps you don't have to put 5 boys in the kitchen at a time to give them a chance at cooking patrol meals... controling rank sign offs (quality control) is better...on and on...

Much as I trust SemperParatus' instincts and knowledge, this time I think he missed the mark...a twelve "pack" is great for beer...bad for patrols...unless there are no better options...(been there, done that and bought the Tee Shirt)

Best of luck

anarchist