Committee chairman

How long should a SPl be elected for. I have a new SM who wants the posioion to become 6 month post. It has been a one year post for the past 6 years. SM want the term shorter so more boys can hold the position. I say it takes the SPL as least 6 months to learn the job, and by shorthing the term to six months to allow more scouts only dilutes the position of SPL. Not every one gets to be SPL. Shorling the post waters down the SPL. what do you say?

First I say that you should let the youth decide. Have either the PLC or the troop as a whole vote on what THEY want.

To answer your question more completly, if I were in your troop I would vote for 1 year, for both the reasons you stated and because troops tend to operate on a yearly cycle, having anual trips.

I agree, the youth should have input but consistency is also a factor. Don't change the rules often.

In our troop we have 6 month election cycles (SPL, PLs, etc.). But, the SPL is often re-elected and the usual two-term duration of 1 year exists.

How active is the troop in the summer? If it's not very active, then a 1-year post is really more like 9-10 months. (Of course, maybe having a new SPL elected a few months before the summer would help lead to a more active troop in the summer. I don't know.)