In another post, Bob reminds us that Patrols can undertake their own activities, even overnight camps, without adult leadership present. My question to the group is this:

In the days of "Follow Me Boys", in a small town, rural environment, this may have been a workable option. But in today's urbanized society, is this still a viable option? Is Youth Protection a concern? When I took YP training, it was emphasized that, not only do you not allow 1:1 contact between youth and adults, but not even between youth if there is a 3 year age spread. How many parents would be comfortable with dropping their sons off for the weekend, knowing there would be no adult supervision? Heck, we have parents who won't even allow their Scouts to go door to door in their own neighborhood on a Saturday morning to sell popcorn, because it's no longer considered "safe" to do so. What liability is the CO exposed to if something untoward would happen if there were no adults present. Would this be considered negligence in today's litigious atmosphere?

Thoughts, please.

There is no liability. Even the Youth protection specifically states that no adults are required for a patrol activity. The key is that the paln is known and approved by the SM and that the parents are aware this is a patrol activity under youth leadership and that no aduklt will be present. if parents choose not to let their Scout attend then that is their choice to make.

My Thoughts:

As a parent I always have the last word.

As a SM I would want to see the plan and go over it in detail with the PL.

We had a lot of Patrols go Patrol camping in the days before Cell Phones.

Now depending on coverage a PL can ask "Can you hear me now?"

As a SM I knew my PL's I had trained them, I trusted them and it was time to let them lead.

I also cheated, I would look in if I was just passing. I looked for at times reasons to just be passing.

Follow Me Boys is a very bad example of leadership, the Scouts end up nearly getting killed!! Boy am I glad it has nothing to do with real Scouting.

Eamonn.