Some of our local Webelos leaders are most impressed with the troops that are active and do all kinds of fun things that are PLANNED BY THE ADULTS!! They know what boy led means, but they see all the cool trips and activities some of these troops are doing. It's like they are looking for an age extended Cub Scout pack..does anyone have this problem?

Well, you could encourage those Webelos leaders to take the full set of training. Now with Outdoor skills,(One Weekend) and with WoodBadge (Two weekends)and maybe even Powder Horn (one week!)and anything else I forgot they can have all the fun they can handle pretending to be scouts without worrying where the kids are. And if they arent careful, they might just learn that the troop is supposed to be boy lead.

Hi MomScouter,

I think these kinds of units exist in every council maybe even in every district. Remember the primary reason boys join a troop is for fun. But scouting is that and a lot more. Unless the boys and the parents learn that what real scouting is about they will gravitate to the only thing they know.

One thing I will recommend is that when Webelos visit sit them down during patrol meeting time and talk about real scouting. The opportunity to choose their own scouting activities, to learn how to lead a group of friends, to be able to make decisions and have them respected, to make their own mistakes and have their own successes. All this while hiking, camping, canoeing, skiing , rock climbing, rappelling, skiing, shooting, swimming, fishing, cycling, doing activities that they select and plan. Let them learn that real scouting is like no ather activity they can join. I would tell them that not all troops run this way. That in some troops the adults make all the decisions. That in those troop s they will do alot of stuff too, but it will be the fun stuff the adults pick, and that's not the scouting that the Boy Scout Handbook promises. Then let them know that if they want a chance to do the kind of scouting promised in the handbook that you work with them to deliver that promise. Some will join your troop some will join the other, but at least they know what they are choosing up front.

One personal piece of advice, focus on how you deliver the scouting program not on how the other troops do it. You know what the program is and isn't don't let the actions of others turn you from the right course.

Bob White