It seems our Council is strongly considering cutting the number of troops going to the Jamboree. Apparently there are not enough Scouts registered to justify the troops anticipated.

Granted, things are very tough here economically, but it's sad to see this happen for such an important Jamboree. Maybe a last minute push will help things out!

N,

I was an ASM for one of our contingent troops in 2005. Our council started with 4 troops and had to cut it to 3. Back then, our price was $1,900. For 2010, it is $3,000. When I was out doing promotion and recruiting, boys would laugh and walk away when we told them the price saying that their parents would never pay it. True that this Jambo will be a special one what with it being the 100th year of scouting and being the last one at AP Hill, but times are hard and the price is higher. We have a number of newer folks in our troop who signed their sons up as soon as they could thinking the spots would fill up fast and they might miss out. I kept my mouth closed. They wanted thier sons to go and there was certainly no harm in getting signed up and getting payments started sooner than later. My understanding is that the council only has about half the spots filled so far. $3,000 is hard to swallow. My son and I went in 2005 for $1900 apeice as I said earler. He wants to go again in 2010. I didn't put in to go as adult leadership again because I simply couldn't justify $6000 for the two of us.

Jambo often seperates the haves and the have nots. Income challenged folks usually don't attempt to send their kids. But in the end, Jambo will have 10's of thousands of folks there like it always does.

I was talking to one of the people in charge of our contingent to Jambo.

Our council has only 33 youth and 9 adults registered (about 1 Troop)

We have been allotted 108 (3 troops) to go.

We are about a 6 hours drive away and the cost is $1895 to attend.

They are discussing cutting all the side trips to lower the costs and increase attendance.

He was also saying that they would like to have 2 Troops registered to go give more scouts a chance to attend but $12K down payment per Troop is due at the end of the month and he just doesnt see it happening.

In the past (As long as I can remember) we have sent two troops.

Both troops are now full and we have got the green light to send three.

At this time I don't have any plans on going. (Could this be the reason for the renewed interest?)

If they get stuck for a leader I might consider going.

But having "Done SM" Twice it is time to pass the torch.

That and old age is taking it's toll.

Ea.

That is too much. While I appreciate the cost of such an event, scouting has lost touch with his base. For my Son and I to attend it would take most of my discretionary income. Not fair to the rest of the family. Sorry honey no vacation, goin to the jamboree.

Not worth it in my book.

Hi Basementdweller,

I would never tell anyone how or where to spend their hard earned cash.

Thrift and being thrifty doesn't always have the same meaning to everyone.

I agree that at some point each of us looks at the costs involved in just about anything and make a choice.

SR540Beaver looked at the price and wasn't ready to spend that sort of money, just as I did with the last world jamboree. I wasn't willing to spend over $10,000 to take OJ and myself to the UK.In part because it wasn't something new to us! In part because I was going to be paying for both of us (No matter how I would dress it up.) In part because I knew I would be paying for college and in part because I just wasn't willing.

I was going to spend the $10,000 I'd "Saved??" on a new Land Rover, but by that time gas had gone up a lot. So I didn't. I looked at smaller cars. By then the economy had gone haywire, so I didn't. By then the stock market had gone silly and I'd lost my ten grand!!

Maybe I should have gone??

Ea

I understand that scouting in the US is turning into yet another rich white club. $6000 for just admission to the even. A couple of uniforms at $125 each with patches. A couple hundred bucks for spending cash.

I am not sure what your income level is. A bit of perspective.

That is more than I have spent on any vehicle I have ever owned.

That is more than I have spent on anything other than my house.

That is more than my grocery budget for an entire year.

I never considered myself a poor man. Till now.

Never been to a Jamboree. I hear they are great. But I don't like crowds, I don't like hassles. Never one for Disneyland or music feastivals or political rallys.

We got a crew for Philmont in 2010. Easy choice for me. If eagle son really wants to go to Jamboree, I guess we'll figure out how to make it happen, but I'm just as happy to see him pumped about going back to Philmont. For us, Philmont may run us $800 each since we already have all the gear and we are 3 hours driving from it.

Basementdweller, I agree that costs are very high for jambos. My son is going to this jambo for about $2500 when all is said and done. It will be the only one he'll be able to attend as a youth, but even so we talked about the cost and how we'd swing it for a long time, and included him in that discussion every step of the way. We (parents) paid the initial $110 out of pocket ($10 online registration, $100 to council to reserve his spot). He will be fundraising the rest of it and it has been made clear that he should not expect his sole (or even primary) fundraising supporters to be family members. He's going to be saving birthday and Christmas money too, and is talking about getting a summer job this year as well.

For us, like for many people, that's the only way we can do it. What's more, we want him to understand that "a scout is thrifty" has real meaning, especially in hard times.

As for tallying the cost, I'm not sure I understand the large number of adults I've talked to, who seem to only consider jambo if they can go with their sons. With some exceptions for, say, unusual medical issues, I kind of think that if a boy is not ready to do something like jambo without his parent present, then he probably shouldn't be considering attending that event. Not to mention that opportunities for adult attendance with the council contingents is very limited anyway.

Of course sharing the experience would be very enjoyable and I understand that many parents use scouting as a vehicle for doing things together with their kids. But maybe there are times when it is better to just let junior go without his parent in tow. Save 2 or 3 thousand dollars and let him tell you all about it when he gets back. Not to mention that it cuts the fundraising pressure in half.

Lisabob;

Liked your post and perspective. Reminded me of 1959 when I told my parents I wanted to go to Colorado Springs. They said, what does that cost. Cost, for going from So Cal where I lived, for our contingent, was $450, plus $50 estimated uniform expense, and any spending money; so, at the time, about $550. My parents said, "Okay, we'll buy your uniforms". I went, and they only bought the uniforms, and drove me to training and the train station. The boys whose parents simply paid for it pretty much complained about everything, even then. They had no conception as to what it meant to "earn" their way. Those of us who did, seemed to get more out of it.

Three weeks never to be forgotten; train from So Cal to Colorado via Arizona and New Mexico, Colorado Springs, AF Academy, Garden of the Gods, Jamboree, Cheyenne Frontier Days, Salt Lake City and its sites, Great Salt Lake, huge pit mine, San Francisco with China Town, tour, Gateway Park, and a stay in the Grand Hotel; and sleeping in berths, eating in dining cars, and watching sites from observation cars.

In 85 I went as a leader, and it too was an experience, but totally different; shared with four scouts from my own troop, and my nephews from another council. No kids of my own.

Now hope to be on staff; got the patch, but no position yet. Choose what is important for you, then do it.

Both my sons and I attended with our council contingent troops in 2005 (our council sends 5 troops). We are from Michigan and the bus ride to/from, water park experience, tour of DC (including two nights) and Jambo cost $1200 per Scout ($600 for adult leader).

Now we slept in a school gymnasium one night and at a church in a lower middle class neighborhood another night. The $1200 included meals for the Scouts. A trip can be arranged for under $2000 in one is within 1000 miles.

Maybe the deaths, injuries, mismanagement of major events and health issues from 2005 play a part too?

I agree with you LisaBob. My son will be 13 when he goes to Jambo. I have no second thoughts at all about sending him with the Council contingent. He will know at least one of the adult leaders in his troop well, and after shakedowns, will know some of the boys. No problem there.

I never got the chance to go to a Jamboree as a youth and would love to attend this one as a leader. But I want this experience to belong to my son. It's time for him to get out of Eagle Scout Dad's shadow and make his own mark. I want to eagerly wait for him to get home so I can hear all of the tales. Some of my friends think I'm crazy to pass up the opportunity to go. But in the bigger scheme of things, I think I know exactly what I'm dong!

Keep in mind that very few parents get to go to Jambo. A troop consists of 36 boys and 4 adults. If possible, one of those adults is between the ages of 18 and 21. That being said, they can apply (have to be approved by your council) to go as staff which is cheaper than going as a participant. You pay the cost of Jambo and arrange your own transportation. You are paying for the privilege of going and doing manual labor in many instances and your time is limited for spending any of it with your child. Typically, they want a person there more than a 2 week vacation window allows. The other option is to visit Jambo asa guest, but that is really a very limited time for seeing your child. The best thing is to let little Johnny spread his wings on his own. Councils generally do an excellent job picking the adults who will take kids half way across the country for 15 days.