What to do with SPL now?

I agree with Sentinel947's last post and in fact coach the same advice to adults of new troops. I like units to maintain a consistant PORs long so that scouts know position does. Jumping back and forth from SPL to PL depending on the number of scouts can be confusing and requires changing reorganizing of responsibilities each time.

I've said before that scouts' basically learn just about all their skills and management methods by the age 14. If the program doesn't have a consistant routine and expectation of responsibilities, the older scouts will struggle.

And, our troop uses Sentine1947's organization roster of the ASPL being responsible for "Troop" acitivity planning while the SPL is responsible for Troop organizational management. I admit the SPL has and easy job with the PL doing 90% of the organizational management in a one patrol troop, but it wasn't much different with our SPL and seven patrols. A good SPL stands in the background of the Patrols leaders waiting to serve them, not lead them.

Barry