Strategic Plan 4-1-1 The Program is Changing

Rumors I am hearing are that outdoor emphasis will be increasing, not decreasing in the future. That seems to fit with the marketing we are seeing featuring the West Virginia Scout Ranch.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new ranks for Boy Scouts will be: Cupcake Scout,Internet Scout, I-Pod Scout, TechnoScout, Computer Hacker Scout, and the highest rank, Lost in the Woods Scout.

None of these ranks will require any hiking, camping or any outdoor activities whatsoever so the helicopter parents will not have to worry about their little boys ever getting a boo-boo. All rank advancement and leader training, including WB21C, will now be totally done online. Troops will now have the option of having their meetings online as well. Well what did you expect if you want the BSA to be in sync with the world of todays youth.

I was tempted to post my views on these Strategic plans without watching the video.

I'm not a great lover of these plans. Mainly because they seem more like a wish list, than anything else.

This time it does seem like something is really going to happen.

My thinking is that as an organization we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On one hand we have the youth, who if the truth were to be told really don't know what they want and seem to tire very quickly of things that they think they want.

On the other hand we have an organization, steeped in history, not wanting to upset or annoy anyone.

Like it or not, I kinda think that the falling membership numbers do show that something isn't working and a fix is needed.

Chances are that when the fix does come some will love it, some will hate it and some will just be happy complaining about it.

As I watched the video, I couldn't help but think of myself standing in the UK Scout Shop about ten years back, looking at the then new program material for then updated program.

It was all there. The common themes and activities based on these central themes that ran all the way through all the sections.

I kept asking asking myself as I watched the video "Is this hype and talk just that and are we going to end up with a copy of what they have in the UK?"

The "Window Dressing " For this plan seems to have fallen back on what old folks like me might think is cool the use of the number 11? Might be a little over the top?

A change is needed. How it will be received? - I don't know.

Still I'm happy to see that something is being done and no matter what, it beats doing nothing.

Eamonn

"On the youth training side, what is mentioned in the status report is that they are moving NAYLE to the Regional and Council level."

I had heard they were backing off on that, because NAYLE was written such that it pretty much only worked at Philmont, and so had cut back on the planned regional courses already.

Since I hadn't heard anything official one way or the other, wasn't certain.

Yep, the title of the Plan (411) did make me chuckle a bit.

Here they are, claiming to be trying to make Scouting relevant, and "cool" to youth again, and they use as a title a term that is only really relevant to older parents who know what a land line telephone is, and had to call "Information" to get someone's phone number.

It might have made more sense to title it "Google"!

I also thought it was rather funny that on the video Mr Excitement (as Twocub so nicely names him!) stresses that all deadlines will absolutely be met, and that everything (publications, training, etc) will be ready, in place, online, on the shelves, on time.

Then you look at the plan itself, and you see that deadlines have already been changed a number of times.

So much for absolutes, and the possibility of at least one groundbreaking thing coming out of this! ;)

I keep hoping that they split off into two groups: one the techie/indoor group and they can get their leadership/character/citizenship training online or through a DVd; and the other the outdoors/skills group that gets their training through planning and challenging expeditions.

This project is costing us how much?????

What worries me is the first line on the Progress report

"We have developed a new definition of

success"

What does that mean???? We are not currently meeting what we view as being successful so we are simply going to revise the definition.

Then you look at the plan itself, and you see that deadlines have already been changed a number of times.

Yeah, that was one of the big problems I had with it from a management and organizational perspective. One item was Status Green (on track) even though it was scheduled to be done in 2011 and the May 2012 status said that the pilot project wouldn't even start for several more months. Another goal (Green, on track) was to have finished three years of marketing by the middle of 2014. Well, if you want to have been doing something for 3 years in the middle of 2014, some pretty basic math says you have to start by the middle of 2011. But the May 2012 status was that it was still being put together and hadn't started yet. Another goal was to have about an 18% membership gain between now and 2015, and they're "on track" for that too, even though the status indicates they haven't stopped the membership declines yet.

I kept finding things like that. Nearly every page had an example of a goal that was claimed to be on track but the actual details showed it to be wildly off-track. The pages that didn't have that problem were generally the pages where it appeard they simply gave up or postponed the whole effort.

Overall it indicates a broken management culture. The Two Waynes have their work cut out for them in fixing that.

Thanks Mr. Hawkins, For a while I thought it was me not "grasping" the message or having trouble with my math skills. Maybe a new "Smoke Blowin' Merit Badge" is right around the corner. Tell you what you want to hear is the new business way of doing things, not only in Scouting but seems to be everywhere these days.

So who are these Pro's in Dallas held accountable to?????

I know if I set dates at work and keep missing them I will be unemployed fairly quickly.

So what are the repercussions of them missing dates.....None. What is the result of the failure of the project......None.

So what did that meeting cost the BSA????? If anyone doubts the BSA has lost its way look at that meeting.

Something I have been pondering......How many SE's are eagle scouts???

Two things that the National BSA is good at is creating grandiose programming ideas that they know stand little chance of success in the field, ie urban scouting, Cub soccer, Hispanic scouting. The second thing is spending huge sums of money to test these programs that they already know stand little chance of success, then they can tell everyone look we tried and it just didn't work out. It just shows that the so called movers and thinkers at National are totally inept, unqualified, and inexperienced at implementing much of anything except new rules and regs, which are a laugh in themselves, no more red wagons, etc., etc.

Let them plan then the new CSE in less than five years can start all over again. Don't expect much out of Wayne Brock either, he has been little more than a corporate yes man in the BSA and he will be gone in three years or less due to his age. What the BSA National really needs is an outsider,sucessful, knowledgable, business oriented, lover of the outdoors, who understands and knows how to deal with an organization who has lost their way at the top levels, and who can come in and make the much needed radical changes to pull the BSA out of their continuing downward spiral.