So it seems like a lot of you ave told BSA has no right to say where we go with our scouts but yet that's exactly what is happening. We parents and leaders along with the boys are very excited about our new pack.we just want them to leave us alone so we can get started.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, here's the thing.

The BSA grants a charter to a council corporation to administer and support scouting in a particular area, eh? The terms of that charter don't really allow a council to administer and support scouting in another area. Otherwise da St. Louis council could offer online services to the folks in South Carolina, eh?

So as close as I can tell what you're describin' is an edge case. The Chartered Org. is in one council's service area, but the meeting place arranged by the chartered org. is in another council's service area. To my mind, arrangin' a meeting place is properly the role of da CO, so it's not somethin' that the second council really has a say in. Within reason. I'm assumin' that we're talkin' just a few miles here.

However, yeh can see why they would feel that their turf was being stepped on, eh? The first council probably wants to set up a unit to serve that school's population, which is properly their role. Yeh could even imagine abuses where a big CO like a Catholic diocese could charter units through its central headquarters in one council for all da other councils in its service area, which wouldn't be helpful.

This is where yeh want people to sit down and behave like adults, eh? I would expect the Chartered Org. to understand the issue and be sensitive to the first council's interests, and find yeh a meeting location that would be acceptable to everyone.

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Visiting for events is one thing.. Setting up house may be another thing. I am not sure.

But, if your new Council is telling you the same thing, that you can not set up house in the other Council's turf, then that is the Council I would listen to. They are your new council, They have no reason to lie to you especially when it serves them no purpose to do so. They would benefit in added memberships if you set up on another councils turf.. Yet they too are telling you that you can not do it. If they are telling you the same thing the old council is when they would profit from this action, there is something to what is being said to you.

Yet, you want to disregard what both councils are saying and go rogue.. Not a great start off in the new council.

Like Beavah said, if what you are proposing doesn't sound bad if it is a few miles from the council lines, but the actions have other negative possibilities. If you could do what you are doing, then what is to prevent me from using my sisters chuch in IL To sponsor a unit here in NH? Then I am part of the IL council..

I am suppose to be putting on a youth program for the church in IL in their community.. I don't think I will be recruiting much from that IL community..

What we told you was they don't have the right to keep you from going to events in an area.. If you were camping out of council, and held a court of honor or something in that location no problem.. But, there may be rules around the boundries of what you call your permenant place of residence.

If your new council & old council are in agreement on the issue, then listen to them. Especially listen to your new council. If you don't the new council can simply revoke your charter.

Dszczepa, can I ask you a few questions to try to get some clarity here? Just short answers, mostly yes/no, should do, no long explanations needed.

1. Who was your old charter organization (not precisely, we don't need to know where you live, but give us some way to refer to them that is clear. For example: CO 1 = Catholic Church in the town you live in)

2. Who is your new charter organization? CO 2 = ?

3. Am I correct in understanding from the discussion that CO 2 is located physically in the New Council, but wants you to hold your meetings in a physical location that is in the Old Council?

4. Has CO 2 signed a charter agreement yet and appointed leaders?

5. Have you been officially appointed and registered as a leader with the new pack at CO 2? If so, what is your official role?

6. Have you been trained yet in your official role?

7. Bottom line right now, what is it you want? Are you looking to get revenge on CM from old pack in CO 1 for failing to remove the CM? Or are you looking to start a new pack with CO 2?

Thanks for answering. I think it might help folks give you better feedback if they have a clearer sense of what's going on.

"we just want them to leave us alone so we can get started."

Get over it. This is not how it works in any organization.

Part of the job of the councils are to TRAIN the leaders of the units so that they are delivering the promise of scouting to the youth. So saying you want to be 'left alone' is the wrong attitude, and I think most would see this as a warning sign that things may not be right in that group.

And I can tell you this is true in many many orgs. Many of the ones I am have groups similar to BSA councils whose job it is to training the leaders of the local groups, oversee things, and insure that the program of that group is being delivered.

In reading over this thread it seems clear that you and others in your Pack don't understand how things work (whether in the BSA or in other orgs as well). I recommend that you sit down and read over the very good advice that others here have given you.