Good Day

I am the camporee committee chair person for our 2012 Camporee. We are needing to run buses between event locations on the Saturday of our event. We can rent buses and provide our own volunteer CDL/passenger qualified drivers. However the bus company wants a million dollar rider policy per Bus.

We thought we could get this policy through our local council (it was done for a troop last year) so we proceeded forward with this idea.

Council is telling us that they only provide a policy that is on top of what the individual drivers insurance covers. I understood that is how it works for health insurance and my car insurance (mine first then scout insurance). However if I was a volunteer driver I would not step forward if that was the only insurance that the group I was going to help out could get.

Am I missing something? at this time renting the bus and driver from the bus company is $165 per hour (way way out of our budget for camporee). We are looking for 2 buses running all day long.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yes miles apart, thus the need for buses.

Papadaddy, is there a point to your post? We of course have back up plans to solve the problem, they however are not as good a solution as the 2 bus plan. Thus the question to the larger Scouting communittee to see if anyone has constructive ideas on an insurance solution that would fit this need or that can give me a better explanation of the insurance needed.

I do not know where you are, but here is/are the hierarchy of possibilities as they occur to me:

* It's a Scout activity. Ask the charter company drivers to donate back their pay for the day. Make sure they have first crack at the Dutch oven Brownies and Brunswick stew.

* Have you approached the local school district? Chartering school buses will likely be cheaper than over the road coaches.

* If it has to be over real state roads, use real buses. If not, consider hay wagons and tractors. Contact local farmers, grange, 4H, County Extension Agent. We have a local "custom farmer" (he does many fields in the area, renting them for cropping) that loves to do Good Turns like this.

* Local Transit services might also be amenable to this. Our county has a transit bus service that is famous for helping worthy causes.

* Might be some churches in the area with sunday school buses that could be asked to help. Ask around. We have one nearby Baptist church that has no fewer than 12 buses in it's lot, but I have never approached them about this kind of thing. Doesn't mean I wouldn't.

* Surveying Merit Badge: Draw a scale map of the route!

Have fun, and drive safely!(This message has been edited by SSScout)

SSScout excellent thoughts thank you.

I see by looking at my original post I did not make it clear that I am after ideas on insurance or companies to contact about this type of insurance.

Ssscout Your thought process pretty much matches what we have done to line up buses so far.

1. We currently have 4 volunteer drivers, however they do not work for the School bus company that we are renting from ($55 per day $.75 per mile for the bus)

2. It is over public roads

3. We have one church that has stepped forward with one bus and one driver. However we would prefer their driver (one of our leaders) be available to run his awesome event at camporee and not be driving bus (Church will only allow the bus to be run by one of their drivers, I think this sounds fair to me).

4. Since the troop got the insurance from Council last year we assumed that it would not be an issue to get the insurance through council again. I am not upset at Council they have done nothing wrong. We have plenty of time to switch to plan b or plan c at this time if we cannot solve the insurance issue.

Willamor,

I was remiss in not welcoming your earlier. Welcome! Not to chase a rabbit, but why is the camporee designed between venues that require bus travel? I'm sure it is probably a fun and cool idea, but it sounds overly complicated.

Have you asked the bus company if their insurance carrier could cover that million dollar rider per bus at your expense )how much is it)?

Have you asked your volunteer CDL drivers if their insurance carriers will cover a million dollar rider for the event if you will pick up the cost?

Council has told you what the conditions are needed to cover your buses. The church has told their conditions. If you dont like those conditions keep looking. You said you wouldnt "step forward if that was the only insurance" so you do not transport scouts now, in the past or in the future?

Welcome Willamor,

When it comes to insurance and liability? I'm about as much use as pockets in your underwear.

But...

Most Councils have tucked away on their Executive Board someone who works in insurance.

Maybe it's worth seeking him out?

We are lucky in that we have a guy who is active in the Council who owns and operates a school bus company. We have used his buses with our volunteer drivers to carry Scouts at OA weekends from one site to another.

Maybe if you talk with the bus company owner or his insurance carrier they can come up with something.

Maybe renting 15 seater mini vans?

Sorry I know that this wasn't much help.

Good Luck.

Ea.

You might also want to check with your local United Way? I know in our area they have vans that they allow local groups to use at a very cheap rate.

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Having done a similar 'insurance' thing for Eagle project...

It ended up that what was really needed was that one group needed a copy of the other's insurance policy to move to the next step.

In your case of the Council and the Bus Company try and see if just getting a copy of Council's insurance to the bus company is enough to get the bus company on board. Its basically a pointing finger game of line up of the pecking order if something happens: which is the personal insurance, then councils then the bus company UNLESS the bus company is at fault which switches the order of the bus company first then council.

(As for those discouraging ya, turn a deaf ear. You can borrow mine if ya want.. *teasing laughter. Kidding aside, I learned long ago that the best plans always have some road block that eventually gets settled. Then you and everyone else is SO happy you didn't got to plan D.. *laughing)

That's Floyd , Boyd, and Mergatroyd Lloyd, of East Bygum Kentucky. They have a product, so they say, that INSURES EV'Rthang comes down right.

Also paint remover and white wall cleaner. Good boys, check'em out....