Connecting Community Oranizations to Scout Law

Facebook brought up an idea of connecting organizations to the Scout Law as a good example of showing how the Scout Law/ Scout Spirit can work every day? Suggestions please on names of non-profit organizations you can think of who's philosophy incorporates virtue Scouts seek in reciting their 12 point character law?

A Scout is:

Trustworthy:

Loyal:

Helpful:

Friendly:

Courteous:

Kind: Random Acts of Kindness Foundation

Obedient:

Cheerful:

Thrifty:

Brave:

Clean:

and Reverent:

I realize some like Random Acts of Kindness can hit two points, Helpful and Kind. Would really like to show Scouts that these 12 points are not only important in Scouting but elsewhere. Who knows it might make for a nice Scoutmasters' Minutes from here.

Are you specifically talking about organizations that Scouts can get involved with themselves, or just organizations that could be pointed to for examples? For example, for "brave" you can talk about your local volunteer fire company or a local National Guard unit, but these are not things an 11-year-old can really get personally involved with. (Some volunteer fire companies may accept youths of older-Scout age as "cadets" or the like, but I assume you are looking for something for younger Scouts as well.)

Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity was established on the principles of the Scout Oath and Law.

Until 1967, one had to have been a scout to join.

Since its beginning its had a relationship with the BSA.

Is that what you are looking for?

emb01... No, not what I was looking for but THANKS for trying.. *winka.

That (APO) is basically a college honor society that helps college students help others.

NJCubScouter.. you really show me how much is on my mind that is so jumbled in expressing... *laughing

You really pinpoint the nail on succinct and trying to get my real point... *grins

Succinct I ain't... *laughing

My point is trying to take the principles of the Scout Law and showing how other organization practice the same principles scouting does. I have a problem with 'practice what we preach' thus having scouts and parents see the need to show up and practice their scout spirit at different service projects we do even if rank or MB advancement isn't involved.

Eagle Scout just had a report that Scouting Magazine's blogger Bryan on Scouting just posted on. In looking at some of the statistics of Eagle, volunteering has very high percent of Eagles doing. I never questioned the need to volunteer and found it an ingrained philosophy of my own that I realized AFTER my son become Eagle was an underlying Scouting principle that's in their Oath and Law.

I'm now in conflict with understanding others who don't as well as having problems getting scouts and parents to attend. I was trying to come up with some kind of activity and lesson plan to teach my scouts the deeper meaning to this weekly recite of the Scout Law and Oath they do. So I really want non-profit organizations I can point the scout toward that does practices a specific scouting principle. Who know maybe from this list I can even take it a step further if that organization has a branch locally.

Well, I do try to get to the root of matter. :)

It looks like you are looking for an organization that is particularly known for each point. In that case, the first point may not be so easy. Almost every organization has "trustworthy" as either an express or implied principle, but what organization specializes in being "honest" or "trustworthy"? One is not coming quickly to mind.

The 12th point may be the easiest, perhaps very easy, depending on who your chartered organization is. Or you may just want to point the boys to their own individual places of worship as examples of "reverent."

The points in between I will leave to others. :)

Except for this one:

For Thrifty:

http://www.jumpstart.org/

It is called the JumpStart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy. I have never heard of it myself, it just came up in a Google search. It says it is dedicating to educating youth about financial literacy, which I think would include "thrifty," although few people (besides those of us who recite the Scout Law) actually use the term "thrifty" much anymore. JumpStart calls it "successful financial decision-making." Same thing. :)

Have to admit to being very confused.

Back when BP wrote Scouting for Boys, it wasn't really his aim to start a new youth organization. His hope was that some of the organizations that were already established would adopt some of his methods.

He spent some time with the Boys Brigade and the Church Lads Army before Scouting really took off.

Some of these organizations are still around today and some are not.

As Scouts we make a promise to do my best.

I'm not sure that holding up what other organizations or other people preach or stand for is what we need to be doing.

The quest to live up to and by the Oath and Law is very much a personal one.

Worse still is that all to often in this age of lightening fast communication there is a very good chance that even the best or greatest organizations are not spotless.

I might think that my Church has done great works but mention the Roman Catholic Church and I'm sure that someone will find fault.

Mention the Red Cross and again someone will have something negative to say.

For me a big part of being a Scout is growing into and growing a real personal understanding of the Oath and Law.

Young Scouts might be able to recite the words and have their own interpretation of what it means to them, but as the get older they gain a more personal understanding. An understanding which keeps growing and is always being questioned, even when they become an old fogy like me.

Eamonn

but mention the Roman Catholic Church and I'm sure that someone will find fault

Ea,

That does not negate that a very large number of folks depend on the Helpfulness of Catholic Charities for today's meal.

Toastmasters, (at least the one meeting I attended) epitomized Friendliness and Courtesy.

Is that what you're trying to get at DS?

I'll bite:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy: Shriners

Loyal: American Legion

Helpful: Lions Club

Friendly: AFS International (arranges exchange student visits)

Courteous: Toastmasters

Kind: Random Acts of Kindness Foundation

Obedient: Fraternal Order of Police

Cheerful: USO

Thrifty: Goodwill Industries

Brave: Mountain Rescue Association (and other SAR groups)

Clean: Save our Beach (and other beach cleanup organizations)

and Reverent: Kiwanis