Sheath Knives in Scouting

Yep, been there taught that...

When I teach Knife and Axe and Saw at IOLS, I always mention the G2SS wording, and mention the "local" bans, the lack of a National ban, and then we teach and discuss safe handling of ALL sharp tools. "Pride of skill" and "respect the edge" is the way I approach the subject.

Including but not limited to: Cub folding pocket knife, Boy Scout folding pocket knife, Wenger Swiss army knife, lock back knife, cheap souvenir knife, Leatherman multi tools, Xacto knife, mom's (and dad's) big carving knife, serrated edges, Kbar, hand axe, hatchet, carpenters hatchet, 3/4 axe, double bit axe, broken handles, unbreakable handles, repairing and sharpening, wood splitting wedges and sledge, carpenter saw (rip and cross cut), pruning saw, two man cross cut bucking saw, folding puning saw, bow saw, Svensaw, and how to clean, oil, sharpen and sheath (!) all of them.

I remind my nacsent SMs that the Scout may come upon any of these, that the care and skill involved is easily transferable to other sharp (DANGEROUS) tool use, and that, yes, SOME of these are NOT appropriate for Cubs or smaller Scouts to handle. It's up to the local leader to set the standard that the Scout will meet.

Someday I should write all this down...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tawhawk: I totally agree. I have several firearms, and knives at home. It is legal to buy, but not to carry most. But the rule for knives here is that the youth must be 16 or older to buy. Now, all Scouts have knives. I teach Bushcraft and outdoor skills, and use a fix blade knife. I carry it with me too all campouts. and wear it under my wool jac shirt on my belt. But I don't use it in front of the boys. BTW, I find a fix blade to be safer then a folder. You learn how to use it, and you'll not cut yourself. Same with any knife. But if your using a folder, and trying to clean an animal or fish, then you could easily cut yourself. I have to live by the rules over here, so I do. The scouts can have folding knives, but no fix blades in camp.