This is funny; but likely a poor decision by someone

http://m3foto.tumblr.com/post/18595233101/santorum-rally-spokane-valley-washington-2012

Not sure allowing Scout color guards at political functions is acceptable to BSA reg's, as they are not supposed to publicly support political groups. It is a grey area I guess if they "only" do the flags, and they do it for both sides. Still, a bit questionable it seems to me. The obvious boredom may not be the best publicity for the gathering either.

My understanding is that colorguard functions are OK at political events, BUT they have to either leave or change out of uniform once the ceremony is done.

If memory serves, there was a Boy Scout color guard at one party's national convention that was booed shortly after the Dale decision.

What they did was permitted but pictures like this one are exactly why the BSA has this in the "Rules and Regulations" guide:

"Uniformed unit members and leaders may participate in flag ceremonies at political events and may lead the Pledge of Allegiance; however, they should retire after the ceremony and not remain on the speakers platform or in a conspicuous location where television viewers nor photographers could construe their presence as an endorsement or symbol of support. In addition, photos of candidates with Scouts in uniform or which contain BSA marks and logos are not allowed in political campaign materials of any kind."

Having a group of Boy Scouts photographed in front of Rick Santorum signs has the potential to be misconstrued and create the kind of controversy the BSA seeks to avoid as a non-partisan organization. Yes, I know we have our share of controversial stances already but the policy seems to be about attempting to minimize any additional controversies.

"In addition, photos of candidates with Scouts in uniform or which contain BSA marks and logos are not allowed in political campaign materials of any kind."

That whole photo thing? Completely unenforceable. I know it's more of a caution to Scouters who might support a candidate and try to arrange a photo op - "Hey, guys, I need everyone out at the church on Saturday in uniform to do a favor for my friend, Mr. Ford, OK?" But it's still rather silly to frame it as a restriction on campaign materials, which BSA has zero control over.

I'm not sure of the source (W.C. Fields?) but someone one actor once said, never work with animals or children. You will always get upstaged. Something for politicians to think about.