Handbook for Outdoor Skills

Yah, in the previous thread, Eagle92 commented on how he couldn't use the BSHB as part of IOLS because it was missing too much information on outdoor skills.

Seems like that's a worthy avenue for discussion.

Are other folks finding the same thing? Are yeh supplementing the BSHB with other resources? I know one unit that used to buy the BSA Fieldbook for all its scouts, but now that's out of print.

Beavah

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, that's interestin', KC9DDI. I know others that really liked it and are still passing around PDF copies of it because they felt it was great. I'm a bit more in the middle, though I thought it was fine. What did yeh think was missing?

Are yeh usin' the BSHB for those things, or are yeh using something else for support?

Well since my comment started this, I think I'll post. :)

I have the 2nd and 4th editions of the BSFB. Love the 2nd, as it give you the HOW TO of doing things. The 4th is a good resource fro expedition planning, but doesn't get into the basic outdoor skills.

As for the BSHB, some comments.

1) Some of the first aid is now outdated, But that is b/c first aid procedures changed last year. ASIDE: has anyone noticed that some of the old FA stuff like tourniquets are back?

2)Things are missing in the personal equipment lists, i.e. cutlery, sewing kit etc. And while the 10 essentials are mentioned, they don't list them.

3) Items missing from group gear like axes and saws, lanterns, etc.

4) Doesn't mention how to sharpen an axe with a stone, and no mention of contact method

5) Not a lot of instrcution of different types of fires and uses.

6) ALOT less detail on orienteering i.e how to mark declination on maps prior to going out.

7) Pioneering project are watered down AND they show the tripod lashing incorrectly. Also no mention of splices.

Ok gotta stop, getting frustrated again.

Soooo,

No field book, hmmmmmm.

There is another nail in the coffin of traditional boy scout experience......

So where are the boys supposed to learn the skills????? Lets face it, most of the cube dwellers have no or limited outdoor experiences....... If IOLS fails to teach the subjects effectively, we end up with lost leaders and news headlines.......

sitting here shaking my head.....

I wonder how many boys actually owned the field book. I didn't know it existed when my son became a boy scout. We just bought him a handbook like everybody else. Somewhere during the time he was SPL, he told me he felt like he needed a better resource than the handbook so I got him a field book. He used it to help his PLC plan skill instruction & games & some other stuff. He still references it, but I don't think he has read it cover to cover and he doesn't usually take it on camp outs. Still, more useful than the handbook. About the only thing he uses the handbook for is to get sign offs recorded.

My guess is, the field book didn't sell enough copies for national to keep producing it.

My son owns a copy, the troop library has multiple copy's of at least three different printings....

I remember one specific moment in his advancement.....I think fire building for second class......He was complaining the book didn't have anything in it....... I gave him the field books out of my library I have 4 different editions.......

I had two copies of the Fieldbook as a Scout - the third and first editions. Used them both - wonderful resource. My outdoor library has a bunch of other books, some better, some worse. I think we're doing others a disservice to suggest they can get everything they need from one source. Outdoor education isn't a static thing.

Beavah - where did you hear that it's out of print? I know Amazon doesn't stock it, but that's not necessarily a good indicator. You can still order it through Scoutstuff. Or was there a formal announcement that I missed that it's not being updated? Wondering if perhaps the existing stock is being sold off while it's being updated, as another thread a while back suggested.

EDGE will only work if the person using it knows int eh first place..

I make sure we have a Field book in every Patrol box. I have never seen a scout reading one though. SO getting them to using them more and more would be a useful step. I was again reading the new Scout Handbook last week. Was helping a boy with some of his advancements. Anywho, I though that most of the Compass and map reading was pretty good. The fire building has always been week in the newer HBs. SO I usually teach that myself without the book. Lashings I use the MB book to help there. In fact most of the skills we use the MB books to help out with. We have a lot of the older ones around that work great for that. Even the new ones aren't bad..

You'll laff, but In addition to my older BSA materials, I also lookad at books in the library. There are some very good ones in my library's collection. Yes some are "tech junkies, but others give a good foundation.

Also this troop's website is awesome, and I admit gives KUDU's a run for the money ;)

http://www.bsatroop780.org/skills/index.html

Alot of KUDU's and this troop's website was used as well.

I know I am just spitting in the wind here, but you guys know EDGE is'nt the reason the kid couldnt start a fire, if someone had told the kid what you need to build the fire and the reasons and what tinder, kindling and fuel was and then showed him how to build a fire and them helped him build one and then let him build a fire of his own the kid would probably be a fully certified pyromaniac by now. Its because EDGE was not used that the youth couldnt get a fire started.

Yeah. I know, I missed the humor of the original comment