I know I am probably wrong on this, but I think the Lone Scout program was designed for kids that had diplomat/military type parents that moved around outside the US a lot, for kids that lived in remote areas with no troops, and kids with extreme disabilities that just could not get to a troop meeting. That may not be the letter, but I think it was the spirit. And those situations can occur today just as they occurred in 1912.

However, I think it is not the best option in spirit. Part of the scouting experience is the patrol, the sense of belonging, learning to deal with other scouts of perhaps different backgrounds and ages, learning how to talk to adults you do not know, learning how to plan a group outing, leading a group in different settings (i.e. eagle projects, troop meetings, patrol meetings, etc), and all of that. I believe that is somewhat lost on the lone scout set up.

As far as disabilities goes, I believe we have come a very long way. Last summer I met an inspiring young scout. He was 13 years old and a paraplegic, in a wheel chair full time. He had the rank of 1st class. When he was asked what he liked best about scouting he said, "That there is something for everyone". He got a standing ovation for that response.

In other words, while I believe that the lone scout program has its place, I do not believe that it is the ideal situation in terms of the spirit of scouting.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see that anyone is arguing against a legitimate Lone Scouting program. I agree with Moose that it seems a bit anachronistic today, but if a Scout truely has no opportunity to be in a unit, then it's a good thing.

I am really disappointed -- but not in the least surprised -- that national has made homeschooling a reason to avoid joining a unit. They should just cut to the chase add "10. Any other dang reason you can think of, just send your $15."

Membership in a den, pack, troop or patrol is the core of Scouting. If a family doesn't have a desire to be in a unit -- despite circumstance which may prevent it -- they shouldn't be in Scouting. The folks running the Lone Scouting program should have as their top prioriy to move every Lone Scout into a unit as soon as possible.

I get there are legit reasons for the program, but I see a lot of the stuff on the list as a cop-out. For most of the reasons listed, membership in one or multiple units with some flexibility on attendance and sign-offs would be much better. I've had boys make Eagle while away at boarding school. I've had a boy with multi-state joint custody arrangements attend summer camp with a troop from his dad's area.

In the examples posted here, Lone Scout seems like a quick fix for some DE or registrar who just wanted a heliparent out of their hair regardless of the integrity of the program.

"I know I am probably wrong on this, but I think the Lone Scout program was designed for kids that had diplomat/military type parents that moved around outside the US a lot, for kids that lived in remote areas with no troops, and kids with extreme disabilities that just could not get to a troop meeting. That may not be the letter, but I think it was the spirit. And those situations can occur today just as they occurred in 1912."

Kind of.

the original Lone Scout program was created for rural boys who could not find even enough boys nearby to form a patrol. This was something Boyce felt strongly about, in part because his papers were sold in rural america by a large cadre of newspaper boys. To those of us today, we may not understand this. Heck, even the BSA tried to have a program to reach out to these youth, but was not as successful.

the idea was extended to any boy, who, for whatever reason (travel, disabilities, etc) preventing him from find other boys to form a troop with. (tho I've read early LSA materials that even mentioned it was great for shy boys who couldn't bring themselves to go to a meeting and join).

In the LSA, there WERE groups formed. It was never an isolated program. Local boys formed tribes. There were mail tribes and radio tribes formed. Boostering (recruiting members) was big, and even bigger was amateur journalism, writing for the Lone Scout magazine or the various tribal papers.

While its great for boys to be part of a patrol or troop, to somehow claims that doing so is a fundamental part I don't quite buy.

For boys who legitimately can't get to a troop meeting (distance, travel, health, etc), I find those reasons to be in Lone Scouting. Other reasons (home schooling) I find lame.

While its great for boys to be part of a patrol or troop, to somehow claims that doing so is a fundamental part I don't quite buy.

Patrol Method?

Youth Leadership?

Adult Association?

I know no one is arguing this, but if this is such a great thing we could save all sorts of time and money by dissolving units and letting all the boys become Lone Scouts. If it works in the margins it should work in the extremes.

Lone Scouting needs to be a program of last resort for those with a real need, not a trap door for parents who just don't want the hassel of being in a unit.

in answer to the how they get the position of leadership question.....apparently they show leadership in school, religious organization, club, or elsewhere in his community.

Question is how many of those are they going to. and out of those where are they given an oppertunity to show leadership. I know school really doenst provide oppertunities for that....AT ALL.

Scouting can be considered a club....so if they can be in a club what stops them from being in a troop?

Elsewhere in community is too broad and leave it open so that the parents can say hes a leader to his siblings.

The only one of those I see as viable option is the religious organization.(This message has been edited by MoosetheItalianBlacksmith)

"Boyce was inspired to create the Lone Scouts by the Lonecraft program of the British Boy Scout Association. That should be familiar as that is the organization Baden-Powell founded and was active in."

"Lone Scouts" were part of Baden-Powell's program:

"Rule 200: Lone Scouts and Lone Rovers

"200. (i) Where, on account of special circumstances, a boy is unable to be a member of a Group, the D.C., if he thinks desirable, and can arrange for subsequent supervision, may request the County Secretary to register him as a Lone Scout or as a Lone Rover."

http://inquiry.net/traditional/por/county_organisation.htm

However, "Lonecraft" was a program element of the Kibbo Kift Kindred movement, which was opposed to the "militaristic views" of Lord Baden-Powell. Likewise for the "British Boy Scout" association, a Christian anti-war alternative to B-P's "Boy Scout Association."

"Leadership" was never an advancement requirement in Baden-Powell's Scouting. It should be remembered that the world-wide test for a First Class Scout (including the BSA) was the First Class Journey, a 14 mile overnight trip which was undertaken alone or with a single buddy.

Perfect for a Lone Scout, but for a boy who hates camping?

Not so much.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

"Patrol Method?

Youth Leadership?

Adult Association?"

These are not fundamentals of scouting.

The fundamentals of scouting is duty to God, Country, Self.

Don't confuse the METHODS with FUNDAMENTALS.

"I know no one is arguing this, but if this is such a great thing we could save all sorts of time and money by dissolving units and letting all the boys become Lone Scouts. If it works in the margins it should work in the extremes.

Lone Scouting needs to be a program of last resort for those with a real need, not a trap door for parents who just don't want the hassel of being in a unit."

Yes, I would agree with the final point.

My daughter does a Lone Scouting program through Girl Guides of Canada. She is a dual US/Canadian citzen and is eligible to do both GSUSA and GGC. She has chosen to do both. The prgrams are very different and complement each well. What GGC does that the BSA doesn't seem to do is have Lone Scouters that work with the Lones. They review all work and decide if it meets the standards. If everything meets the standards the kids get their advancements. If it doesn't then they guide the Scout in what needs to be finished to get advancement.

My daughter's leader is 300 miles away. They communicate through emails, phone and snail mail. There are several "internet camps" and internet chats each year. An internet camp is when all the registrants receive an agenda of events, a packet of supllies needed for activities and a copy of the food menu for the event. They are given a secure website to log into and everyone interacts via the web during the event. During the last event a leader built a large campfire in her backyard and lead a cyber campfire. The kids got s'mores fixings in their camp kit the week before the event. Not as good as a real campout, but she had cyber tentmates from every Canadian province and the Yukon Territory in attendance. A neat event in its own right.

So where am I going with this - The BSA needs to put some oversight into the Lone Scout program. There needs to be an advisor that oversees the Scout's advancement and makes sure that requirements are in fact being done, not just Mommy saying Junior did it. The advisor would do the SMC and set up a BOR whether in person or via phone/Skype/web. Having Mommy or Daddy being the advisor at CS level is fine. If the boy in going on to BS then he needs an appointed advisor not an Akela. This especially true for anything above FC. JMHO.

I'm a firm believer in Lones, but it needs more oversight from the BSA and Councils. Its too easy to skirt the guidelines and create paper Eagles with no skills under the current Lone Scout program.

"So where am I going with this - The BSA needs to put some oversight into the Lone Scout program. There needs to be an advisor that oversees the Scout's advancement and makes sure that requirements are in fact being done, not just Mommy saying Junior did it."

There IS an "advisor". They are known as the Lone Scout Counselor. Problem occurs when the counselor is the scout's parent. (which may be their own choice)

• 1 year later...

I am actually going to be a Lone Scout Counselor starting this summer for two cub scouts. One of the two boys has neurological special needs that causes him great anxiety to be with a larger group. Mom has tried to put him in scouts in 2 different groups and no one wants to try to accommodate his needs. I am a trained CM and DL for Wolf and Webelos so I did the research and checked with council for approval and I got it. At first council wasn't too thrilled with the approval but they are willing to accommodate the situation and it also helps that I am a trained DL to do this.

• 3 months later...

The problems most folks have described on this post also occur in troops, and most of the eagles I have seen in the scout troops in my neighborhood are overly influenced by adults. It's a wonder that the boys have any chance at leadership.Where districts and troops will foul things up is generally when they try to start adding requirements to the eagle review process. That's a mistake. It would be much simpler and easier if everyone just followed the BSA scouting methods.

Moose.....this family has a tradition of eagles on mom's side...her dad, brothers, his cousins are all eagles......He will not break tradition, her words.

He has a receipt for summer camp.....that will be enough for most councilors....Plus he has a year of troop camp flyers....Now he didn't go on them and the one he did mom came and got him saturday morning after he hid in his tent the second it was put up.

Lucky you, the GtA2013 just nullified the receipt.
"gee, homeschoolers also doing the lone scout thing.......wow, big surprise."

And I'd have to ask why homeschooling is a reason to be a lone scout???

Frankly, most homeschooled kids DO engage in social activities and such with other homeschooled kids (parents will pool together for join field trips and the like). I know of Venturing Crews established for just groups of homeschooled kids. There is no reason I know of that a homeschooled kid can't: 1) join a troop or 2) join with other homeschooled kids and form their own troop.

Socializing with other insulated people isn't socializing. It's cutting yourselves off together.