My sons WEBLO 2 group is falling apart

Our Den leader (Dave) (since tigers) son has decided not come back for Weblo 2. My role in the Den was to assit Dave and be the enfocer, to keep the kids in line. I didn't think it was fair through out the years to leave it all on Daves lap. With Dave leaving we seem to be in danger of completly falling apart. It was suggest by Dave that I take over. There are some logistical issues to work out but that aside. I would like some imput on an email I am working on to each parant and scout. This is a rough draft so not woried about grammer as I am in content and accuracy.

Dear Scout and parents,

As you already know the Murray's will not be back next year to run our den. . I have volunteered to step in. They have done a wonderful job through these past couple years, and will be missed.

I want to assure you that I will work hard to try and live up to the same level. Although I don't live in fort Allan, I am fortune my father does, and he has graciously allowed us his place to meet at when needed. A lot of our activates will be out and about.

In each level of scouting there are always changes and challenges. WEBLO's II this up coming year will be slightly different, than the changes from past years. Much of the academic stuff associated with the WEBLO's we will have already met by the close of this year. Our Goal, as Dave stated at the banquet is to get all 20 pins this year. There are a few other badges we can earn along the way; however WEBLO's II is suppose to be focusing more on scouting activates and transition to more independence.. Since there are no set guide lines to tick off. We have some freedom to find fun things to do and learn some things along the way. We will be revisiting some of the things we learned in the past, which are important in scouting as well as some of life lessons I think is important to carry with them.

WEBLO II will be a short year. Basically after the blue and gold banquette, we are done. The scout could than if he chooses to start with the Boy Scout troop of his choice.

I really only had a week to think about this. So nothing is set in stone. My plan over the summer is to put together a lose outline of I would like us to accomplish and how we will get their.

Some of the things we will be doing.

As required for the arrow of the light,

- There are a few academic things we will need to do for this, however not that much really.

- We will have interaction with a couple Boy Scout troops. Jay Anderson group camped with the other troupes. I haven't had any contact with any of the leaders form troupes, however I am hoping to do some fun event and also visit a typical meeting so the kids can get an understanding what goes on.

- We are required to go camping and hiking

- I also hope to do some community service projects.

Some of the scouting activates I think would be good for the kids to revisit which they could use in boys scouts are.

- Knot tying

- First Aide

- Knife safety and carving

Some of the life activates I think would be good to visit are

- Self Defense - Some of you of may or may not know my children and I, study Tae Kwon Do. One of our emphases is self defense. Regardless if you choose to study any kind of marital arts I think this would be something good to know.

- Personal finance - I know you think this is the accountant coming out in me however I think it is never too young to start I have already looked into some things we can do to teach the kids about budgeting etc etc.

- I have a very good friend who is an award winning nature photographer, and she has agreed to donate her time. I am thinking about a lesson in photography and perhaps a nature walk to put it into use.

- Online safety. Our kids are growing up becoming more independent and unfortunately more at risk.

- I may have a few other speakers in to fill in time and hopefully educate the kids.

In the next month we have to make some decision on WEBLO camp. It is a great experience, and a lot of fun. The kids learn a number of crafts; get to shoot Beebe guns and bow and arrows. There is also a little walking involved.

I encourage you to share this email with the your sons. Please let me know your thoughts.

Congratulations! You'll love being a Web 2 den leader. Now for your letter. I like it. One thing I noticed is the reference to Tae Kwon Do. The BSA Guide to Safe Scouting permits scoutgs to engage in "non-striking" martial arts. The exact language of the GSS which is found under the heading "Unauthorized and Prohibited activities" reads as follows: "Boxing, karate, and related martial artsexcept judo, aikido, and Tai Chiare not authorized activities." The GSS is your friend. It keeps your scouts safe and keeps you out of trouble. Nothing wrong with you and your kids provding an "exhibition" and nothing wrong with teaching "non-striking" self-defense acts like how to break a hold and get free.

You have lots of great ideas for program. Remember, one of your jobs as the DL will be to get your boys to cross over into Boy Scouts. Best if they all join the same troop, that makes a "instant" patrol and goes a long way to keep them all active through eagle. One of our patrols recently completed its last eagle. They were all webelos together and they all made eagle!

Good luck and enjoy! jim

You're group isn't really falling apart. You are just having a change in leadership. :)

Something else you should consider is to put more of teh decision making on the boys. Ask them what they want to do to fulfill the remaining requirements you might have and then add in the list you've come up with. Let them begin to experience boy-led. Let them find out what G2SS says about activities. And, maybe you can get a den chief from your preospective chief to ramp them up for troop life.

numbers123,

You're in great shape with a lot of great ideas! With most of the activity pin work behind you, the guys don't have that pressure which burns so many out and makes them dread the idea of moving into another 7 years of scouting. Trust me - the best is yet to come! I really liked the early emphasis in your letter about visiting and camping with some Boy Scout troops. Get your guys out there to participate with Boy Scouts having some excellent adventures and they'll all be excited to join as soon as they can.

Enjoy the ride!

I have very little time to put this together. Bascally out of 8 scouts we have lost 3 and 2 are on the fence at this point. So I need to present this as fun. In addtion i am a Tax accoutnant so i have no free time this time of year to explore ideas.

I greatly appreciate all your input.

This time of year a Weeb 2 den should be winding down. They are all leaving Cub Scouts in a couple of months and should have the AOL completed for the most part. As you eluded to, this time of year should be reserved for visiting Troops to determine where the boys will cross over too.

Now if your referring to the Weeb 1 den falling apart in the transistion to Weeb 2. I am unsure about martial arts and scouting, you may refer to the Guide to safe scouting.

I see a lot of city activities.

What about the outdoor activities? Hiking Camping, and woodcraft

Less book and lecture work more outdoor, go see, active work.

numbers123,

Greetings!

Pretty good letter to your 2nd year Webelos parent!

Mile High Scouter has already commented on certain martial arts, about the only edition you may really want to change.

I would add early, to ask for a "buy in" from parents. i.e.

Here is a trail for all our Webelos to follow.... Here is what is need to earn the Webelos Rank... Additionally, here is what is needed to earn the Arrow of Light... and If you want to earn all the Webelos activity pins (sometimes nicknamed a Super Webelos or Summit Award) here is what is need to earn all the activity pins.....

Also.. maybe you can add your own disclaimer... if a Webelos cannot attended events due to sports, etc. that you will accept other events (in lieu of) that they can demonstrate or email to you, and their Scout's honor.

Years ago, my final year in Cub Scouting, I had eight Webelos and a great Webelos Assistant Den Leader. Only six of the eight earned their Webelos Rank and Arrow of Light. Only four bridged into Scouting. A great bunch of boys, but just a few had other events, clubs and sports. Good young men, but as lenient as I could be, two were just not going to earn their Webelos badge or AOL.

So even if it is just you and your son, or you, your son and another Webelos. Keep pushing on, holding regular schedule den meetings, meet all the objectives and have a great Webelos Year with a large den or a small (but close) den.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I think the letter you wrote to the Webelos and their parents was very good. However, I would beg you to please use the correct spelling of Webelos in your letter. Webelos stands for we be loyal scouts. So there needs to be an "s" on the end.

I think it is beyond admirable for you to take on this role. The boys will definitely benefit from your efforts. Since they are soon going to crossover to the boy lead Boy Scout program you can begin to give them a little rope and let them assist you in the selection of the activity badges they want to earn. Their inclusion in the planning process may lead to better achievement in the long run. Keep in mind the progress requirements for Arrow of Light and guide them toward that goal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I am also a Webelos leader going into Webelos 2 next year. I have the benefit of having gone through it before as an assistant with an older son's den. However, my new group presents many new challenges. We are a result of merging two dens that were both dwindling plus one new boy who hadn't been a cub scout before webelos. Then I had another boy quit this year shortly before he earned his Webelos rank, which was a bummer.

I think you are on the right track and doing the right thing for the remaining boys. I think keeping it fun is very important. I have had to make adjustments in my den meetings to keep the boys interested.

It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the requirements, especially the academic pins you mentioned. Luckily, you say you are past most of those. Going for all 20 pins is a great goal which I plan to go for too, but if they are on track for Arrow of Light, don't sacrifice fun to get more pins. They can wear Arrow of Light on their Boy Scout uniform, but not the super-achiever patch.

Good luck!

Scouter760 brings up an EXCELLENT point worth repeating: "...if they are on track for Arrow of Light, don't sacrifice fun to get more pins. They can wear Arrow of Light on their Boy Scout uniform, but not the super-achiever patch."

I've seen a lot of potential Boy Scouts (and their parents) pass up the opportunity to cross the bridge into Boy Scouts because they were burned out by the extra effort to earn that darned super-achiever patch. It's a fine thing to offer the super-motivated, but please keep it low pressure. It's not worth it if they're burned out and not hungry for more. The boys work plenty hard in school all day. From their point of view, they're interested in 3 things: Fun, Friends, & Adventure. Keep the focus on that and they'll have many more years to enjoy them all (and learn a few other things when they're not looking).