momof2

First of all the CC is entitled to and can demand to see the books anytime he/she wants to as the head of the committee, even without the COR's backing. Second, I think your pack learned a good lesson about putting just any warm body into key pack positions. A treasurer should have a bookeeping/accounting/finance background otherwise you are just asking for trouble as you have now discovered.

Now the committee and the COR should sit down with her and go over all the books to see where the problems are and take any immediate action necessary. As another precaution your pack books/checkbook should be kept in a secure spot at your CO or a safe deposit box never at a volunteers home, because if they bail or move you would be out of luck.

The citations from the Cub Scout Committee Guidebook are interesting. There is nothing that detailed in the editions of the Troop Committee Guidebook that I have seen. One would think that, with larger amounts of money involved, the troop committee guidance would be similarly detailed.

Although my first adult scout volunteer position was as treasurer for a cub scout pack, we never had any committee training. Perhaps the syllabus for that did not exist then. Be that as it may I did what I felt I needed to do to get things under control and I provided monthly reports just because it seemed to be a smart thing to do. Only later did I realize that such reports in themselves are a useful tool for identifying and controlling mismanagement and/or outright fraud.

I have never seen or heard of debit cards issued to anybody for access to a unit bank account. I think that would be extremely foolish. If there is a genuine need for cash advances before a major outing or other outlay that required cash, it should be possible to anticipate such needs and get such cash to whomever legitimately needs it in sufficient time to meet the need.

The sad fact is that non profits such as churches, youth organizations, and booster clubs are particularly susceptible to embezzlement, so the committee for any type of scout unit needs to put in reasonable controls to minimize temptation. I don't think it is necessary to keep the records and check book out of the treasurer's hands until there is a proven problem. The treasurer has to be able to function.

First, I commend the Treasurer for providing warnings about money shortages.

It may be that the treasurer can see a declining bank balance but doesn't have the records to report on where the money is being spent. If that's the case, anew2 treasurer is needed who can keep such records.

In my opinion, the CC should make an appointment to review the records that are available, such as monthly checking account statements.

The CC should make his own estimate of where money has been spent, how much is left and what level of expenditure the pack can support. It may be that one or more volunteers has been spending lavishly, or there may be some other problem.

Also, if the treasurer can't maintain adequate records, a new treasurer is needed who can.

If the treasurer wont meet with the CC and discuss these issues, a new tresurer should be appointed immediately.