Lack of organization, i.e. challenges getting TCDLs, lack of information going out to parents about activities, last minute changes to activities etc. Long story short, CM had burned out, and it affected everyone.

We got a new, well organized CM, a very active CC, and the making of a great committee. Biggest obstacle is getting TCDLs though. We are workign on that. Also it looks like we may need to break up the Wolves into 2 dens, so another DL will be needed if we keep adding Wolves..

gotcha, I have an experienced den leader who just became an ACM mentoring the parents of the den. She has the first two go see it's lined up and we are looking for the primary group leader now.

What you described happened last year and we lost half the den before we realized it.

Base,

This may sound brutal or cruel or whatever you want to call it, but I stand by this.

DO YOUR BEST FOR THE KIDS YOU ARE DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR AND HELP OTHERS AS YOU CAN. BUT YOUR PRIMARY DUTY IS TO YOUR CUBS!

(caps for emphasis, not shouting).

I've learned the hard way that you cannot do everything, b/c if you do, your scouts suffer.

Good luck.

92, yer not gonna hurt my feelings......cause on the way over last night I was sorting thru how I felt about being a den leader for the other Pack again. I was kinda relieved that they did not want me.

But every time another Pack or troop folds we all lose. This will turn the boys impacted off to scouting and in turn they will not sign their sons up.

My other concern is that my Pack was not Prepared for the HUGE influx of scouts. We doubled in size and if the phone calls are any indication we could triple in size.

This would mean we would be well over 110 members. This is too big to be effective in providing the scouting experience in my opinion. I would like to see us split up into two or three Packs if that happens. I believe the optimal numbers in a Pack are 40-50 scouts. Which equates to two dens at each rank, roughly of course.

The problem is enthusiastic, scout educated adult leaders. Adults with no experience take such a long time to get up to speed. Well, I am sort of working this from behind the scenes, we have a DL and now two assistants in each den.

92, in the hood they are all my scouts and this other pack is in the hood too.

Base,

Understood. I guess what I am trying to say is, help as much as you can, but don't let it take away form your scouts. I know how hard that is too.

As for getting new leaders, and getting them up to speed,that is also my pack's challenge. We need 3 TCDLs, and probably another Wolf DL. recruiting parents is hard. Hopefully this weekend, I'll be talking to a few folks about how to go about it.

One thing that may help convince some parents is the resource book that replaced Program Helps. Back in the day, alot of parents were concerend about what to do. Telling them about that resource,a nd the How To Book, helped ease fears.

BD - our troop had a similar refugee problem on about 1/3 the scale of yours. Ultimately led to a spin-off of a new troop (by the folks who resented our refugees' "lack of discipline").

I've posted before about how the SM and I decided we should advertise with a big sign "Troop ___, we take bad kids." Didn't do it because the last thing we needed was boys acting more gansta than they already thought they were.

Bottom line: our boys weren't hurt at all. No complaints. The spin-off is doing alright. The boys in it complain a little because they got a flood of cross-overs and were overwhelm. But they're sticking with it. If the adults get over a few hangups, it may actually last more than a couple of years.

Point is, get your adults rolling -- as many trained as will allow. Then someday at a campfire or someplace where folks can sit back and brainstorm, drop the bomb: "This community doesn't need one big pack, it needs a couple more good packs. I might be looking at the best leaders those packs could ever have ..."

Your going to laugh, I have been shedding roles like mad I had a great year with adults I picked up 11 new volunteers. like I said for the first time ever, I have two ACM's every den has two adl and a dl. We have a large committe full of chair people, blue and gold, pinewood, advancement and activites. Working to recruit next years popcorn kernel.

You are correct that planting the seed is whats needed.

Way to go Basement!

I also asked two people to be ACM's when my last one crossed out. When I mentioned it here...you coulda heard a pin drop.

But it's working out great. I used to think I had a full committee , but now, it's "fuller". Working geat and takesa ton of stress off the people who have been doing all along, so they can do even better in the areas they are supposed to be doing in.

Our year is gonna be great!

I have no doubt yours is too!

Last year was ugly, I was CM, WDL, CC, popcorn kernel, pinewood derby chair, advancement chair and secretary......The CC quit but never told anyone and could not find a replacement, the secretary was my wife whose job changed and she couldn't do it.

I enjoy being the WDL and will do it for as long as I am able. I filled both roles after the old WDL ran off with the CM. After the storm we had 6 boys left. two years later we could have 100??? wow.

It all seems like a life time ago now.

My only roles in the Pack now are CM and WDL. I put in my notice resigning as popcorn kernel at the end of 2011 sale. My world is much better. I can see exiting as CM in the next year or so.

Thx

Scoutfish.

So glad to hear of your success, basement. I know for a while you were talking about the difficulties of finding people to step up as leaders in your community. What happened to change that for your pack? Not just the growth in youth membership, but the growth in adult/volunteers? It can't all have just been luck of the draw. What got the ball rolling in terms of adults stepping forward?

It isn't my success.

Persistence.

In another thread someone mention community, I think this is the case. The den leaders and parents coming back from family camp with stories, the snakes on the hikes, the kid catching the muskie on the wax worm, the skunk in camp. and on and on........Sure there were bad times.....but for some reason those storys never get retold. The Parents and boys both had fun on our outings.

I honestly believed that is the case.

When I asked the leader, it wasn't in the rush in or out of the meeting. It was at the fishing derby after the meal....Same fishing derby watching the sun set accrossed the lake...It was sitting on a rock on a hike....... It was at the table selling popcorn in front of the store. I don't know......the time just seemed right.

Most of the leaders were recruited over the summer from the existing Pack. We have yet to identify and chat with the new parents.