Jump to content

Boiling Galvanized tubs

Recommended Posts

this from the US Army Medical at Ft. Sam Houston

"d. Chemical Intoxication. A chemical intoxication, or poisoning, is caused by

swallowing a harmful chemical substance.

The most common poisons in military situations are pesticides and heavy

metals. They are usually the result of labeling and/or storage errors.

-- When zinc galvanized garbage cans are used for the production or

storage of acid foods such as lemonade or tomato juice, the zinc metal is ionized; zinc

ions cause acute heavy metal poisoning.

-- Enamelware made from antimony or cadmium can also cause heavy

metal poisoning when used in the preparation of acid foods."


maybe a greater problem where you have acid rain???

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I need more info regarding the trash-can Turkey. A little hesitation since it is food. I have experienced both Cadmium and Beryllium poisoning and would like to avoid Zinc! (


I will say my earlier experiences obviously neither killed me nor gave me super powers)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please also do not forget that zinc is a macronutrient, and is a necessary part of our diets in order to survive. It is not like lead or mercury which are automatic toxins to our bodies. In the U.S., the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) is 8 mg/day for women and 11 mg/day for men. Red meats, especially beef, lamb and liver have some of the highest concentrations of zinc in food. The minor amount that leaches out of buckets into cleaniung water that then is used to wash dishes is minor.


Also came across an EXTREME case of zinc poisoning while looking this up, involving ingesting 461 coins, many of which were copper plated zinc pennies:


Zinc Toxicity Following Massive Coin Ingestion, American Journal of Forensic Medicine & Pathology:

June 1997 - Volume 18 - Issue 2 - pp 148-153


Bennett, Daniel R. M.D.; Baird, Curtis J. M.D., Ph.D.; Chan, Kwok-Ming Ph.D.; Crookes, Peter F. M.D.; Bremner, Cedric G. M.D.; Gottlieb, Michael M. M.D.; Naritoku, Wesley Y. M.D., Ph.D.


Abstract: This is the first reported case of human fatality associated with zinc intoxication following a massive ingestion of coins. Four hundred and sixty-one coins were removed from the gastrointestinal tract of a schizophrenic patient during the course of hospitalization. Many of the post-1981 pennies, which consist primarily of zinc, showed severe corrosion due to their prolonged contact with acidic gastric juice. The patient presented with clinical manifestations consistent with the local corrosive as well as systemic effects of zinc intoxication and died 40 days after admission with multi-system organ failure. Tissue samples of the kidneys, pancreas, and liver obtained at autopsy revealed acute tubular necrosis, mild fibrosis, and acute massive necrosis, respectively, and contained high levels of zinc. The overall effects of zinc intoxication on the various organ systems, possible hematological derangement, and the impairment of copper absorption as well as the outcome with treatment are discussed.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...