ASM destroying our troop

Nice to know if you miss the fireworks, you can always log in ...

Follow your SM's lead. Ignore the smoke blowing. Calling for "dismissal" of volunteers rarely solves anything.

Was there ever a motion by the committee that this ASM had the authority approve camperships? If not, contact the mother and let her know the ASM was misinformed and her son is still eligible for a campership. The committee makes the decision.

You may want to gently inform the ASM that you found her behavior toward another parent to be abrasive, and as an empathetic parent you would like things to happen differently in the future.

Also, are there any positives that this ASM brings to the equation? Does she work well with the boys? Any good outdoor skills? Has she taken the time to get trained?

Great advice given here throughout. Never FIRE a volunteer, but you must redirect them when things aren't going well. Someone HAS to reign her in, again, great advice in dealing with a couple of the specifics you mentioned. In my experience when called on it either the problem adult improves or they decide to take their ball and go home (addition by subtraction can be a net gain, but let them make the call).

I've been in a very similar situation myself, and I can guarantee you one thing - if "someone" doesn't reign this ASM in she will only get worse. People will vote with their feet (sounds like it's already starting with the CCs). New Webs stop coming over. Other adults start staying away. Scouts may actually transfer out. The problem won't get better as this leader is actually getting empowered because nobody will stop her and she sees things going better since she's stepped up (in the short term it does).

The committee needs to reclaim it's responsibilities and let the ASM stick to being an ASM. This is exactly why there is a line between the committee membership and the troop adult leadership. When the roles start crossing back and forth this kind of stuff happens.

Good luck, but someone needs to step up to the bully.

Well, someone mentioned that the UC wasn't "needed" earlier in this thread. I have to respectfully disagree.

The Unit Commissioner is a volunteer who is not registered to the unit, but instead is registered with the District. This is helpful in cases like this, because a good UC can see the "forest through the trees." By not being part of the problem, the UC can help the unit solve their own challenges.

A good UC is a diplomat. A good UC has taken the time to build a good relationship with the unit on both the "committee side" as well as the "program side." This way when these issues arise they can actually be helpful.

Since the OP has never mentioned any sort of interaction with a Unit Commissioner, I'd recommend i82much to contact the District Commissioner, and inquire about a unit commissioner for their unit.

The Commissioner Corps is there to be a "friend to the unit." It sounds like this unit just needs a "friend."

Craig

ctbailey

While I agree with your post the honest truth is in most districts you would be hard pressed to even find an active UC anymore. Many of those still around lack any real diplomatic skills to handle this type of situation since they tend to be crusty older gents who love to tell the unit what to do rather then listen to the entire situation.

Unfortunately, I hear similar reports as BadenP has indicated.

The Commissioner Corps, however, I truly believe - is beginning a rennasance period. It will not be an overnight fix, but as the Corps gets "younger," through a constant influx of new people, and we continue to get the word out as to what GOOD commissioner service looks like, I think we can turn around the trend.

When I see an unfortunate case such as this ASM is causing in this thread, I try to take a minute and demonstrate and/or explain how a good commissioner would react/act. Hopefully, as these forums also continue to attract younger, more energetic people, we might be able to entice some good people into Commissioner Service.

Scouting is all about relationships. It's not about "power," or the "right way" of doing things. Those units who are fortunate enough to have a UC that "gets it" are usually the most successful.

In my District we have a very vibrant corps of commissioners, nearly 25 strong, covering the roughly 60 units. The District Commissioner has been very active, and has been having honest heart-to-heart discussions with the inactive "commissioner in name only" types. There has been a reduction in numbers of commissioners here, but clearly an improvement overall.

It just takes a core staff of people who care. With the strong opinions displayed on this board, there is no loss of passion. With the right District Commissioner, that person can re-direct that kind of passion into constructive assistance to units.

If, on the other hand, the District Commissioner position is handed to someone as an out-to-pasture position, no change will come.

i82much - the advice given so far is sound. You've sort of received a bunch of "cyber Unit Commissioner" advice. Just think if you had someone you trusted you could have turned to months ago, you wouldn't have to resort to this public forum.

A unit commissioner should at least know the roles and responsibilities of the SM, SAs, CC, etc. Some UCs are good, some mediocre and some absent. Very little risk in trying to utilize one.

When I was a UC, I felt I needed to walk a tight rope - wanting to let the unit know I was there and available but not wanting to stick my nose in everything and act like some sort of overseer. I usually erred on the side of making my self scarce.

Once a pack asked for my help in "removing" a den leader. I heard that this person stepped up to be a den leader but then did not really fulfill his commitment. Well, I didn't necessarily agree to remove him but agreed to visit during the pack pinewood derby and evaluate the situation. I was planning on talking to the den leader himself, some of the parents of the boys in his den, etc. Well, after I just observed for about 15 minutes or so, the pack CC came by and told me that the den leader decided on his own to step down and another parent stepped up as a replacement. My work there was done!

I just notified(voicemail) our UC, which just happens to be the previous SM

I told him that ASM was destroying OUR troop and he needed to show up with his UC hat on.

Just so happens our next troop and committee meeting is this Thur.

HI i8...

Unfortunately, my crystal ball tells me this scenario will not be a huge success.

There needs to be clear seperation from the unit if a UC is to be successful. Apparently your District Commissioner does not fully understand this, or else the immediate former SM would not be providing commissioner service for his own unit.

I understand we all wear different "hats" in Scouting. There just is never enough people to go around. But in this case - a former SM who may actually have worked with the problem ASM - will not have the clarity enough to provide a truley objective perspective.

I of course hope the outcome is different, but experience tells me this UC will not be effective in this particular deal.

Good Luck

Yup, don't count on the UC to fix it... he isn't a referee/judge, but more like an counselor that can only provide non-binding advice. The current CC is the one that needs to step up and take back the committee roles from this ASM.

I would recommend a 'committee only' meeting with the UC to get some input on this, but ultimately, the action has got to come from the committee itself.

Reads like the COR may be starting to pay attention? That much turnover in the CC role may just do that... you should get the COR involved with that 'committee only' meeting if that's the case to let him know the concerns of yourself and others (hopefully you aren't the only one sounding the alarm here?).

Good luck!

Just starting reading this thread so here's my take. We're talking troop politics here so this is tricky. Your Scoutmaster I hope is great with kids because he sure ain't much when it comes to ASM's. Did you consider what the relationship is with that UC relevant to the current SM or Chartered Organization? I get that you are desperate here but if it were me I would not have left a voicemail. It's better to talk w/him or meet him for a cup of coffee to feel him out on this. I would still do this. I bet he will give advice but I don't think he's going to clean up this mess for you.

The overarching question here is whatdoes all this mean to the kids themselves. You mention that your scout is happy and made a lot of friends in the Troop. My fear for you and him is if this thing blows up it could put a real damper on those relationships and his scouting career. Is this person salvagable?

Maybe you ought to take a break yourself from it to give yourself time to think and step away from it a bit. This may give you a fresh perspective. If however this isn't possible then it has to be the committee and CC that needs to direct the scoutmaster to tell his ASM's what is expected of them and what their role is. He may rankle a few feelings but it has to be done. The committee chair and the committee run the troop.

Good Luck!