Committee Chair Person problem

As of the e-mail I just read, no one for the moment. She says she will be looking for someone to step in to the job this Summer. I will keep pushing for the person who would work the best for the position, and the Troop. At this moment, our present SM who only landed into the position a couple of months ago would be the best solution. He would be best suited for the job then anyone. Then it would be up to him to find his replacement. But we have several great ASMs who would make great SMs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's keep in mind that id a unit is well run, freeing Den Leaders or Assistant Scoutmasters from attending committee meeting would be saving an evening of their time.

Ideally, the committee will be providing the resources needed for the program and there will be no real need for program related people other than CM or SM to attend.

I'm curious as to why you would think your current SM would be a great CC.. Kind of an odd switch.. Would your current SM prefer administration over program? Is he not a good SM?

Also curious about this line..

She says she will be looking for someone to step in to the job this Summer

She should not have total say in this.. I would think the first to have a say in the selection would be the COR.. If the COR does not want to be responsible for it then the committee should get together to discuss it and figure out good canadates and ask them. Or take submissions of those wanting the position and vote on who it should be.. If she is staying on the committee, she maybe can have a vote.

The outgoing person really should not choose their successor, unless no one wants to do the job, and no one wants to do the searching..

Why don't you apply for CC?? Sounds like you would know how to get the committee educated and running right.

Moose, your right, she will have nothing to do with finding a new Chair. In fact, she will not be invited to meetings. I think the SM would be best for the CC job because is is a great Administrator. And he was never kool with becoming the SM. He speaks of this all the time. But I spoke to him tonight, and he's changed his mind again, and is interested in asking another parent who already has Committee experience from a past unit to fill the spot. But I will speak more with the COR about this. I want to get her more involved again.