New and with a question

Hey ya'll,

I'm new to the forum, but my boys have been in Scouts for 5 years. I have a Webelos I and a First Class Scout. My oldest has really gotten interested in pioneering. I was wanting to buy stuff to make him an "at home" pioneering kit that he could build projects and involve his younger brother. I need suggestions on what to get (rope,spars tackle...) and where to get it at a cheap price. We live on several acres that have cypress and pine growing on it. Any input greatly appreciated.

Scotteng has the right start. But I would suggest two more things.

The Pioneering Merit Badge book and some 1/4 inch braided cord, usta be called 'Venetion Blind cord'. Encourage neatness in the splices, as it adds to the strength.

YiS

I would say get him the rough twine that you can get in the spools at Lowes or just about any hardware store. I would first have him try making his own rope with the twine. I remember a machine that we used when I was in scouts. I have been looking for the plans, but no luck yet. I think that I am going to try to make it from memory. After he makes his rope, then have him start working on the other projects. I would get the Pioneering MB Booklet, Scout Handbook and any old ones that you may be able to get a hold of. I have seen some of the neatest poineering projects in the old ones. But not so much recently. Look through the old publications, they might help you out. Maybe they can make you a gateway to you driveway.

Rope making is fun and a good place to start.

Teach him to correctly use an axe and a bow saw. Locate a stand that needs thinning. He'll make his own poles and a few brush piles for the wildlife.

Also, it might help if he could build models. Often projects on paper don't build so well. Pencils and kite string work fine for this and allow for proof of concept before going out and building one full size.

All great suggestions...

One add-on: when they do graduate to making life size structures, you can always get good sized spars at any home improvement or hardware store. Get the 8ft to 10ft wooden tree stakes used by landscapers. They are just the right diameter, rough enough to hold the lashings without slipping, and can often be had pretty cheap either new.

Or better yet - have the boys get a one time job with a landscape crew removing the stakes from trees that no longer need them. Have 'em ask if they can do a days work for free if they can keep the stakes.

There - they have more wood to build with than they know what to do with it. And they don't have to chop down all the trees on your land to make it happen.