Moving Personal Statement

This last weekend I was on staff for an Outdoor Leader Skills training event. One of things that we do on Sunday mornings is a "Scout's Own." The trainee who had volunteered to be master of ceremonies for the Scout's Own stepped forward and began with a personal statement, which I quote from memory as best I can:

"I have been in law enforcement for twenty one years. During that time I have had numerous contacts with youth, frequently taking them into custody. When I would contact the parents to come get their kid, often the parents would say, 'I don't care what you do with him. I am not coming to get him. Take him to Juvenile Hall.' I was losing faith. How could a parent take such an attitude toward their own child? Only recently since I have become involved in scouting as a volunteer leader have I re-discovered that there parents who do care and who do love their children. For this I am grateful."

(This message has been edited by eisely)

Probably a sad statement about parents who have had it with kids who keep getting into trouble. Hopefully scouts can keep the kids from getting to that point in the first place.