One of our scouts built a boy-size hamster wheel! It looked more impressive than it worked.

My suggestion is you start with a scale model using dowel rods (or even 1/4" sticks) and string. Improvize a lot and go through a number of prototypes. Test it using 4 oz sinkers for passengers!

Keep in mind that there's a reason why those things are made out of steel!

Try googling pioneering projects. Just remember that it may fall under "COPE Elements" and are forbiden by G2SS. I remember when I was a COPE Director being surprised that a monkey bridge or a pioneering tower over a certain height (either 5' or shoulder height, Old age getting to me) qualified as a COPE element, and needed to be inspected by a COPE director, and participants had to wear harnesses and helmets, and there had to be a belay system.

So my troop had to stop building towers for the Bosun's chair we used to recruit with.

Oh, I'm sorry you guys had to stop doing the towers. I did do some research on the height restrictions. You have a very good memory. They are limited to 5' or shoulder length. I did google and found very good projects with detail info; but it just didn't pull up what I needed for the ferris wheel. Thanks for the safety alert and info.

Hi,

I have been playing with Pioneer projects for a long time (over 40 years!) Even though I might say it myself, I'm good at it!

To-date I have never seen a Ferris wheel, have seen and made a few Roundabouts.

Making a model ferris wheel wouldn't be that hard, but one that would really do the job? Could be done, but I'd be worried about having Scouts take rides on it.

For a long time there was a group in the UK led by Rex Hazelworth, who met at Gilwell Park and played around with different projects. One of the younger members of this group was John Thurman He has written a really great book on Scout Pioneering titled Patrol Pioneering. It was first published sometime around 1958 and was reprinted up until about 1975.

I have a 1958 copy. Now and then it comes up on eBay.

It might be on the "Dump" a site that often has great old type handbooks and Scouting type books.

John Sweet is my favorite writer when it comes to books about Pioneering he has written:

Scout Pioneering and Pioneering in Town and Country both a very good. They used to be available from the Boy Scouts of Canada and do sometimes pop up on eBay and Amazon for sale by private sellers.

John Thurman also wrote "Fun With Ropes & Spars". Another great book.

You don't say what part of the country you are in? If you are within driving distance from Pittsburgh (Say 300 miles or so) I'd be willing to drive down and work with any Scouts who are really interested in building a few projects. They would of course need to know the basic knots and lashings before hand.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

Thanks so much for the info on the books. I had thought of purchasing a book(s) but wasn't sure where to start. I appreciate your suggestion. The boys and I would have loved for you to come and help us; but we are located in Southern Georgia in a small town called Franklin. Your expertise would have been a great asset. Our pioneering project is being done for our Scout Expo which takes place in Columbus, GA. There will be a committee who will judge our booth. We had three choices with pioneering being our first. We are a very determined group of scouts since we have never done anything to this extent. Boy, what a blast it is going to be. Thanks again for all the guidance and offered help!

Yes, that is a little far!

Did spend a great week a few summers ago in your neck of the woods Sea Kayaking just outside of Savannah.

Made the mistake of saying that I didn't like grits Arrived home with packs of grits hidden all through the trunk of my car.

A super week, we met up with a Troop from Atlanta.

I think my Sea Scouts about drove them crazy with their non-stop singing!

I think it was the first time the adults had been exposed to having female Scouts mix with Boy Scouts.

Even change does happen down South!

Good luck with the project.

Ea.

(Had a low country broil?? A mix of shrimp, corn potatoes and some kind of sausage -Beats the heck outta grits!)

You are just too funny! It sounds like you had an amazing trip southern style. Wow! I know our Boy Scouts would have been thrilled to have such an adventure with girls mixed in. That always makes the world more exciting. We'll keep you posted on how everything goes. The Expo is in May.

Talk about Southern hospitality, two of the Sea Scouts (One male, one female.) were so taken with it that they returned to work on staff for the following two summers.

The girl worked last summer at our Council Summer camp as the Water Front Director.

She is a super nice kid.

The Lad is waiting to get into the Marines.

Ea.

I always find that the Scouts are for what ever reason, not able or afraid to or just avoid making the wraps and fraps sufficiently NEAT and TIGHT, both of which have direct bearing on the sturdiness of the structure. Doesnt matter if it is a handwashing tripod or a signal tower of some size, getting them to make it NEAT and TIGHT is the thing.

See http://ajm.pioneeringprojects.org/pioneering/PioneeringProjects.pdf for some challenging projects. Page 75 is a merrry go round.