New Unit Commissioner introductions

DON'T introduce yourself to one unit assuming you won't need to also introduce yourself to partner units. If there's a pack, troop, and crew under the same roof, be prepared to get three different opinions on everything and everyone.

DO follow-up. If you say you'll be visiting monthly, do so. If you only have time to drop in less frequently, be honest up-front.

DON'T state irrelevant agendas. E.g. ...

UC: "I want to make sure funds from unit X are not spent in unit Y."

UL: "Has anyone given you any indication that that's happened or will happened?"

UC: "No, I just want to make sure it doesn't!"

The result will be ...

UL to self: "Now where'd I put that static filter ..."

DO get yourself invited to an outing (hike, campfire, etc ...).

Great stuff.

I am new to this job, and have been "Trained" already. I will be the only UC for my area. I will have 3 Scout Troops, and 1 very large pack to deal with. I was introduced already by my DC. He and I had the chance to do some good talking already, and he's a great guy. I have been in contact already, but as an ASM to the other Troops and Pack in my area, but have to get on the ball to ask to visit. I also plan to go camping if I am invited. One of my main goals is to find out what training the troops ned, and see about getting a training team down to give course. IOLS, BALOO etc.. I also need to find more UCs. I am serving in a Troop as an ASM, and also a UC for the same troop. But I hope to find someone to take over my troop for me. I'm also trying to recruit for Wood Badge. I have several interested people. I will be a TG on WB this year.

One of the biggest problems like i said is the area I'm in. My Troop is the problem. They don't want anything to do with the Council. You'd have to know the whole story, and that would take a bit of writing. But I'll get to it as this thread grows.

I tried a phone call first, then a visit to a committee meeting, then a visit to the unit. It worked with the pack, but not my crew or troop. Right off the bat with my troop I had to help remove a volunteer, and relationships got pretty strained fast.

Part of my introduction and continuous service was "what can I do to help?" Not every unit will take you up on it, but some will!

All great advice.

I visit when it's good for them. Social but low key, positive on what is positive, refrain from criticism, and let it be known that I work for them.

And Qwazse, spot on advice regarding that invite to an outdoor event! A big honor.

Moreso than attending any meeting, the hike, camporee, summer camp, pack meeting by the lake--you bond more with the unit outdoors than anywhere else. Help wash the dishes, chop wood, use a handy scoutcraft skill to set up camp that they've never seen before--credibility builds. Then that cup of coffee with the SM at the fire pit early in the morning or after taps is really meaningful.

I don't upstage the SM/CM. He/she is the lead adult.

Truth is, they will probably view a new UC as another silver loop dandy. Another well-earned reputation, but one that's not impossible to overcome.

The best tip I can think of? Show your genuine interest in unit level scouting. If you can, share common experiences as a scout or unit level scouter. True scouting doesn't take place in the meeting room. It occurs in the great outdoors.

So far I agree with all the advice given.

Scout - the unit where you serve as ASM... that would be the first unit that I would recommend you find a replacement UC for yourself, instead of a replacement ASM for yourself.

My guess is you have a son in the unit, and naturally you are a good choice as ASM. That's where you belong - with your son. You probably wouldn't be objective enough to serve as a 3rd party, or a mentor/coach/counselor to the SM.

Some of the most rewarding communication I have had as a UC is from a Unit Leader that calls me out of the blue for advice, or simply another person to bounce ideas off of who isn't in the middle.

Lets consider a scenario where the SM has a difference of opinion with his ASM. (This would never happen, would it? :) ) If you are the ASM he's got an issue with, and you are the Unit Commissioner.... who's the SM going to turn to?

Sooner than later - find a replacement UC for yourself at your "own" unit.

Craig

scout - I'd be a little more drastic than what the above have suggested. I'd go to your DC and say, "My troop's UC just resigned. They'll do without until we find a replacement. We don't have to worry too much ... I hear the ASM is top-notch!"

If nobody comes forward, you can still do UC-type stuff for your SM, you just wont be "wearing the patch" around him when you to it.

Indeed.

I will work more in the UC role with the other 3 units in my area. And hopefully find a UC for my Troop. Although my SM is going soon.. I hope and pray. and the new SM which was to be me until i took on the role as UC, will be a great guy who already works with me as ASMs..

But am at this moment dealing with my SM about scout knives. the Swiss Law is strict. SO I had to explain it and the BSA rules about boys and knives.. He didn't want o take on the information.. such an arrogant guy.. Oh, well. time will tell..

All you can really do is a UC is give out the right information, continue to offer to help, maintain good relations with the unit, and continue to keep your ADC or DC in the loop. Some units will continue to follow myths and fallacies or plain ol' make up their own rules along the way, but maintaining friendship with that unit really is key.