Yah, readin' Hawkrod's post in da parent thread got me thinkin'...

What advice do folks have for CORs? What sorts of "tricks of the trade" for bein' an involved and helpful COR are there? We see too many "in name only" CORs (or worse, da SM's spouse to fill the position), and too many decent CORs who don't understand their district and council roles.

Share your insights and advice you'd give to a COR.

I'd start with getting them a copy of "The Chartered Organization Representative" #33118D from the Scout Shop. It is around a dozen pages and does a very good job of explaining how the COR interacts with the organization, unit, district and council. I'm hoping it is still in print.

Get to know your program principals and your committee chairs. Understand their vision, make sure they understand the chartered partners' vision, and then have their backs.

Read the info on an adult leader app. Check the references. Don't be a rubberstamp.

(1) Attend your unit's meetings:

- Committee Meeting (a must)

- Courts of Honor (also a must)

- Scout Sabbath or Sunday

- Random Unit Meetings

(2) Attend your District Committee Meeting (you are a voting member)

(3) Attend the Annual Council Meeting, know who you are voting for, and make sure they are the right person for the job.

(4) Communicate regularly with the Sponsoring Body's Executive Officer. Let them know how the program is doing, and if the leadership is working.

(5) Smile when you are with the youth. Does not matter if you are a 103 - you need to show the youth you care, and that you are there to ensure they have a great program. The YOUTH never need to see you frown, be angry, or upset -- save that for the adults when they have earned it.

As a Scoutmaster, here are my suggestions for what would be most useful.

1. Be available. When you need to sign leader applications or money-raising applications, respond promptly and make it easy to get your signature.

2. Be experienced enough to know that a rubber stamp works great a lot of the time. Most of the time we've already done all the vetting and all we need is the signature.

3. Understand the CO and why they've agreed to sponsor a Scout unit. What would convince them that they've made the right decision? Communicate those things to them.

4. Likewise, identify to the unit any concerns that the CO has and what the primary points are (mud in the hall, holding Sunday services, rearranging the rooms, service project completion, whatever).

5. Look out for issues that might affect all of the CO's units - Scout Sunday, maybe.

There may be other places and times where I'd care about some of the other things, but as it is, I don't care if my COR comes to any meetings (committee, troop) or goes to any district or council meetings. The place he'd be most useful is in communicating with the CO. I do think he should have his leaders' backs (per John-in-KC), and he should know his leaders well enough to do that.

If the COR would like to do more, then they certainly would be welcome to - I'd suggest checking with the Scoutmaster and CC to see what they could use the most help with.