Starting a Varsity Scouting Program in Burbank/Glendale CA area

Hi Everyone,

My name is David and I am starting a new Varsity Scouting Program with the Verdugo Hills Council in the Burbank/Glendale area.

I am in need of help, I am looking for Scout leaders, and also looking for more scouts to join the program.

I plan to start our first meeting in February. If you or you know someone who can be of great help getting our program off the ground please email me at scalsports@gmail.com

Thanks

Hi David & Welcome to the Forum --

Your best bet for recruiting is in your local district. I would get in touch with your DE (who should LOVE the idea of a new unit being started) and see if he cannot give you some leads.

Plus, if you know what your "Team" is going to use for their "focus" the first year, you may want to consider setting up an "info booth" at the District Roundtable.

Hi David,

Welcome to the Forums.

You are either in the Western Los Angeles Council: http://bsa-la.org/ . The Council offices are on Sherman Way in Van Nuys: they are just west of the tunnel under the runway at Van Nuys Airport.

Or

You are in the Verdugo Hills Council: http://www.vhcbsa.org/ . Their offices are 1325 Grandview Avenue, Glendale, California 91201.

May I recommend you determine which council you're in, call your District Executive, and get contact info for your District Commissioner. Work with him to develop a plan to attract youth. It'd be nice if some older Boy Scouts, more interested in sports than camping, were willing to migrate to your Team. Getting publicity into the local school papers and into the local newspapers (Does the Valley News and Green Sheet even still exist?) to help.

Ping Trevorum: Ready to decamp TX and return to LA? I have my moments... (Trevorum and I both grew up in the San Fernando Valley Council, now part of Western LA...)

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies. to the Question why Varsity, I've been apart of the Verdugo Hills Council for over 2 years, I sit on the friends of scouting committee, and in our last meeting, the Council is losing 5 cub scout packs next year and 2 Boy Scout troops,the Council is getting smaller, no new charters. the older scouts and teens in the Burbank, Glendale community are starting to lose interest in the Traditional Scouting programs. Los Angeles area has never had a varsity scouting program.

I am a co-founder of So Cal Sports Organization that offers sports programs for youth and adults. We play sports to help the children in our community that suffer from life long illnesses. we raise money and spread awareness to the community. My organization helps raise money and donates to the Verdugo Hills Council.

Talking to the District Executive, and the District Commissioner that also sit in the committee. I brought up the Varsity Scouting program, and I got alot of positive remarks about it. Also been doing alot of surveys and talking to kids ages 12 to 18, and it turns out that more kids today are into sports, and high adventure sports.

I believe starting Varsity will bring back more older kids into scouting, and being in Varsity the scouts can still earn Traditional Boy Scout awards ( Merit Badges, and Egale Scout Rank ).

Right now I am working on the charter, I am charting Varsity and Venture Crew. Doing Venturing cause more girls want to join than boys. Have enough to charter Venture, I need one more boy for Varsity. If anyone knows any kids in my area that would be interested in joining Varsity please send them my way.

If you all have anymore ideas, please let me know, Thank you all for your help. deeply appreciate it.

David