What IS in a name?

All the talk about Camporee competition put me in mind of all the Scout activities we sponsor. Let's see now...

* Jamboree: Large, national, international Scout gathering.

* Camporee: Weekend get together of local Troops, skill competitions?

* Cub-a-ree: Local Cub Packs' gathering, earn beltloops, pins, electives, fun stuff.

*Cub Pow Wow: Like U of Scouting, but geared toward Cub leaders. More skills than philosophy, as it was explained to me.

* Scout-a-rama: District took over county fair grounds and all units produced demos and participatory things Scouty for public to walk around thru.

* Salamagundi: As I remember it, an OA only camporee, specializing in backwoods skills.

* Hike-a-rama: Lots of Scouts and Venturers hiking in the Shenandoah, same days, same trails.

* Scouting on the Mall: Council wide demo and public walkaround on the Capitol Mall.

* (pick a name) Regatta: Seascout gathering and skill competition.

* U of Scouting: Lots of courses and workshops about everything Scouty. Skills, philosophy, ethics, paperwork, stuff.

* Webelos Woods:

* Webelos Weekend:

* Webelosworks: A planned camp to help Webs earn outdoor pins, get to know their local Troops.

* Camp Akela: Psuedonym for Cub Scout Day Camp.

What have I forgot? Where have you gone? Waddyacallit?

In our area:

AdvanceCamp: One or two-day local event with a merit badge midway designed for fast merit badge advancement.

Webel-o-ree: One night camp designed to have Webelos earn 3-4 outdoor activity pins (Forester, Geologist, Outdoorsman, etc.) plus one more (i.e. Showman)

Webelos Weekend: Held on Friday/Saturday night at the end of and between Boy Scout summer camp weeks at the Council camp. No advancement per se, just the run of the Boy Scout camp between sessions.

L.E.A.D: Leader Education and Development. A combination PowWow and Univ. of Scouting for all program levels including Venturing.

In my council the following as well:

(Pick a Camp) CS Family Campout

Fishing Derby

Webelos Encampment ( res camp)

CS Encampment (res Camp)

regional jamboree ( had units from other councils invited and attend)

Spook-a-ree (CS campout on weekend before Halloween)

(Pick an area of camp) Weekend

never heard of a Salamungundi before.

I've also attended a Regatta for Sea Scouts - This was a 3 day event with Sea Scout Ships competing against each other in a varity of events.

Going to a Venturing Summit in Sept.

Adventureland - this was council-wide Scout show held at our local fairgrounds - each unit picked at topic and had a booth to demonstrate it.

Scout-a-palozza - Mall Scout Show

I sse a few "ScoutFEST 100"'s - council camp-o-ree Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Scouting

Check out the one for the Chicago Area Council- the band Smashmouth is playing at the Saturday night stage show

Scout Show is usually what most people hear of council events bringing units together to show of scouting (hopefully) to the general public.

Sea Scout Regattas & Rendezvous. Regattas are usually built around sailing competitions, rendezvous are gatherings that may not be as sailing oriented, but prehaps more skills oriented.

Encampments was the term used for Explorer Scout/Explorer/Air Explorer Camporees back in the 40s & 50s.

Flyins was the term used for Air Explorer/Aviation Explorer Camporees in more recent years.

"Derby" Pinewood Derby for cub scouts, Klondike Derby for boy scouts - But in this sense Derby doesn't parallel anything in common.. Pinewood Derby is racing boy made cars Unit - then district.. Klondike you load up a sled in the winter filled with required items and run around from station to station for challenges. (similar to Camporee, but in the derby you are required to bring 10 times more stuff around with you then the Camporee..)

Chuckwagon - cub scout version of boyscout Klondike Derby.. Where they wheel a pint size chuckwagon around (boys are the horses).. Chuckwagon carries a whole shopping cart of items they were to gather up, and they go from station to station doing challenges.

In our Council, we also have:

Cope-o-ree (COPE themed weekend)

Klondike Derby (Winter sports games)

OH! I almost forgot my favorite one:

Campaganza, coming up this month (A more local, smaller version of the National Jamboree).(This message has been edited by frank17)

Back in the day, we used to have Council Encampments about every 4 years, a camporee style event for the whole Gulf Coast Council. I don't know if they still do that.

Buffalo Skipper, did you attend the Bicentennial Encampment in '76? All I remember is that is was a miserably hot weekend on a big open field, possibly a disused NAS flightline, with no shade anywhere. Oh, and Chappy James spoke to the assembly.

Regards,

DWS

DWS, I joined Boy Scouts immediately after receiving my AOL on June 22, 1976, so I missed the Bicentennial Encampment. But I do remember seeing the BE patches on all the older scout's uniforms. The campout was probably held at Bronson Field, a WWII era training facility. We had several camporees there when I was a scout. Our next encampment was in the spring of 1979, and was held at a field (not a runway type field) on Eglin AFB, less than 10 miles from Spanish Trail.

In recent years, beginning in the late 90s there were no encampments in the council (or so everyone said). The OA put on an encampment in the fall of 2008 at Euchee, and the Council sponsored Scout Jam, a Jamboree style encampment at the Ft. Walton Beach Fairgrounds this past Spring. Both were well organized and well run events.

I remember Chappie James, and I recall I had an occasion to meet him once, as a scout at a scouting event, but I cannot for the life of me remember when or where. Prehaps it was at the Bicentennial Encampment as a Webelos. For the benefit of the rest of the gang, as Chappie is probably best known as a local hero, "Chappie" James was the first African American Air Force officer to achieve the rank of (four star) General.

Area VOA was getting into the habit of calling Venturing area gatherings "Summits". That noun fit nicely. But it is now being used for a specific lattitude/longitude where boy scouts will gather every four years starting in 2013.