Scouts with learning disibilities.

Make sure that they know what is expected of them, and only give them (the youth leaders that is) one thing to do at a time. If more than one thing is handed to them, they tend to get frustrated and cannot handle the additional tasks.

Check out what National has as far as info and PPS presentations on the subject.

Ask the parents that like to give their sons a "vacation" from their meds on the weekend or at summer camp, if they are willing to take the same vacation with their heart meds, or diabetes meds, or any meds that they might be taking. Usually the bottle says "take X amount/day", not "x amount/day except for the weekends, or at summer camp.

One other thing that I have found is that sometimes, when the ADHD scout has reached the end of his medication day, and there is still lots of day/evening left, ask the parents if it is OK to give their son(s) coffee or caffeinated soda. It is a stimulant similar to the meds that they are taking, and can get the Scout through an evening, depending on the scout.

I just went through the Powerpoint that Info posted.

It's a good start but it I think it missed a couple of key points of ADD/ADHD.

ADD/ADHD kids, in addition to impulsiveness also frequently display quite rigid forms of Obsessive Compulsive behavior, so much so that any *new* task can become so daunting that the kid cannot begin to fathom a solution to a new problem and instead will want to revert to something else they are comfortable with.

I could easily see where Scouting with it's inherent and constant flow of new activities could easily become problematic for an ADD/ADHD Scout.

The biggest key to remember is that even medicated ADD/ADHD kids have to come off the medication everyday. It is that transition that is probably the most difficult for the leaders to adjust to.

Funny....JUST as I hit SUBMIT, I remembered a BIG issue with medicated ADD/ADHD kids.

FOOD!

Virtually all of the ADD/ADHD medications are a form of methamphetamine (beware the parent or leader that refers to it as SPEED or METH, that person should have NOTHING to do with the ADD/ADHD Scout!)

As such, the medication is a very effective appetite suppressant while the medication is in effect. So, on campouts, the Scout will not be hungry at lunchtime (possibly even dinner), but will be very hungry after the medication wears off. This fact must be accommodated for!

If the Scout is engaged in high energy activities, it is paramount that he eat *something* at lunch, no matter how small...and when the medication wears off, it is critical that the Scout have access to the additional calories needed to make up what was missed during the day. Also the medication can assist in dehydration, so additional fluids are warranted.

• 3 weeks later...

Gutterbird,

Very good questions. I come from a troop that has numerous scouts with disabilities pass through it - children suffering from blindness, ADHD, Asperger's, psychological issues, etc. - many of which have obtained Eagle. I agree safety is a big concern on trips and outings with the troop, and I understand your frustration with feeling like a "baby sitter". These are the suggestions I offer you:

- Team up any scout suffering from a disability with an older and more mature junior leader.

- Have as many scouts as possible earn the Disabilities awareness merit badge

- Having the parent attend the trips could be a positive, but also could be a negative. The scout needs to learn that his mother/father can't always be there for them and must learn some independence. Talking to the parent is a definite plus, finding out the best ways to approach their child in certain situations and things to be aware of.

- I suggest you try to offer as much structure to the meetings/trips/etc as possible - in writing too if you could this way they have a visual cue as to what they should be doing next.

- Remember, it's going to take time for the scout to adjust to the troop as well. You will both experience "growing pains", but if you find it is still problematic, I would address your concerns within your troop committee and/or the parents of the child.

P.S. Everyone should try and use people first language, i.e "a scout with ADHD" not "ADHD scouts". Theres nothing worse than having the other scouts label their own peers.

Hope this helps.

Yours in Scouting,

M.C.

Eagle Scout & Occupational Therapist.

M.C.,

Thank you for sharing your insights. A dear friend of mine is very nervous about her son bridging to Scouts this fall. He has Asperger's and while he can plow through requirements, the social skills just aren't there. His view of the world as black and white makes it difficult for him to work with his den, and she's worried that will carry over to his patrols and make life difficult.

I've passed on your advice to her, and she seems much more confident now that she has a better idea what to ask for.