....what skills and knowledge you'll need later in life learned as a youth.

Viewing the Amazing Race last night, watched a team fall on their sword, and loose their chance at winning a million, because they didn't know Morse code. Although, wasn't able hear the whole message in code, was able to deduce the message entire from "we will", and "viva", the message being Montclam's rallying cry for his army at Quebec. Yep, you just never know when you'll be needing those Scout skills....

(This message has been edited by Le Voyageur)

The thing that amazed me with that program was the lack of knowledge one had for receiving the message. With modern communication we can interpret and decipher on the fly. With Morse Code in that situation, they were trying to decipher each symbol coming at them before moving on to the next. What they should have done is simply written down the dots and dashes to make sure they got the message and then "decoded" it. The same would hold true to semaphore, Myers, or any other form of communication that is a bit different than direct verbal communication that everyone is used to doing. Even if someone spoke to me in a foreign language, if I write it down phonetically, I might have a chance to translate afterwards.

Loved the WWI airplanes in that piece! The uniforms the race contestants wore were BSA Centennial repros! :)

Stosh