I think learning basic survival skills is a great idea.

Granted, the chances are rare, but what if you did survive a ship wreck. Maybe your plane did crash into some mountains far from the local mall and grocery store. What if you just get seperated and completely lost on a guided safari through the wilfderness or who knows what happens while exploring Oregon?

The funny thing about Y2K was that people really did not know how to get food if cash registers didn't work at food stores. People stocked upon yams and sardines. But what happened when thosree ran out?

You gotta know how to fish, you gotta know how to snare or trap hunt.

You do what you gotta do to survive if something does happen.

Like medical insurance...we don't plan it to happen, we plan for when it does happen.

Gotta love the Toyota jokes.

Runaway Toyota?

1) Put it in neutral.

2) Apply the mechanical handbrake/parking brake.

or just call the newspaper and tell them the harrowing experience you had not doing those two simple things.

Stosh

If we discount the fall of man idea, here's my additions to the list - Eamonn, you taking notes or going to appoint a scribe?

*How to dance. Sure could have used this one as a scout.

*How to say I'm Sorry and Thank you. Both in person and in writing.

*What to do when your pulled over by the police. Both hands on the wheel, Do not reach for ANYTHING. Do not lie, it won't work. Oh and the good news is you know this officer by name, it is "Sir".

*Where food come from and where it goes. From market to flush is not enough.

*What is expected of a dad. This one is the most important role of a SM.

*How to earn a buck.

*How the stand up for themselves AND how to back down.

" Oh and the good news is you know this officer by name, it is "Sir". "

This made me smile!

As a young Lad, all the masters at school called us by our last names.

I never really liked it.

When Scouts would call me "Sir". I would as a joke tell them that as yet I haven't been knighted.

When they would call me "Mr ...." I would tell them that he was my Dad.

Now I work in a place where the inmates are expected to call me either "Sir" Or "Mr. ...."

I do wear a name-plate with Mr. E.O. W... on it.

A lot of the inmates have tried guessing what the E stands for.

So far not one has got it right.

I wonder why?

Eamonn.

• 2 weeks later...

Trevorum - I made too many post here, were you referring to my lass last one or my first last one?

either way, that's the problem with wisdom, it always comes too late for your own use. On the other hand, it I knew then what I know now, I'd have missed a few tears but a whole lot of fun.

Most Americans have no idea what hunger is. It is an abstract concept that applies to less fortunate people. We take plenty for granted and the blessing before a meal becomes rote because we have no experience with genuine want.

I think going without food for 24 hours - voluntarily - is simple lesson but one which could have a subtle, long lasting effect on a teenager's philosophy. It is a scary idea indeed and one that most parents will reject as unnecessary, silly or perhaps even unhealthy. Nonsense.

Thank you for the suggestion, wingnut. I hope that others here on Scouter.com will run with this idea in their own families.