Greetings,

I came into possession of some Boy Scout diaries from the 1930's. They are from North Haven, Main. I contacted their Historical Society about donating them but have received no response. I can scan one of the diaries from 1930 and send the files to someone who wants to figure out how to make them available to the the public on the web.

Best regards and please reply,

Johnx

Johnx

You can always keep them as real collectors items. A few years back going through aan old second hand shop I found an official 1930 BSA scout diary and the scouts merit badge sash with ten of the old mb's for $10. The diary tells of how he earned each one and the official pictures and requirements for each rank and merit badge are a real fascinating part of scouting history which I love to refer to when talking to my crew on outings. As Kudu would say the good old glory days of scouting.

Johnx,

North Haven is a small, island community off Rockland, ME. Year-round population of roughly 350 people.

Town Gov: http://www.northhavenmaine.org/

According to their website, the historical society is open only by appointment in the winter (RE: it's closed). So you probably won't hear back from them directly until late spring if you sent them only an email. You'd probably be better off trying to contact them through the town office (see website above). Or you could attempt to contact the historical society using the phone number on the "Brief History" page of the town website.

If you can't get through to anyone there, you could also try contacting Katahadin Area Council, which is the council that covers North Haven: http://katahdinareabsa.org/

Good luck!

Moxieman-in the other Maine Council, Pine Tree.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

Those old diaries are interesting to read and a real window into the past. I have my grandfather's 1923 diary. At that time he was the SPL and a First Class Scout. He writes about sending letters to merit badge counselors requesting meetings and then taking the streetcar across town to meet them. He also writes about being inducted into the OA and later that year taking part in an induction ceremony for new members. Fascinating history.

I'd hold on to those old diaries if I were you but if you want to give them away maybe the council would want them.