Youth Protection, Camping , and Family

evmori,

I don't understand where you're coming from.

If "parent or guardian" can be interpreted to refer to a temporary guardian, then a non-relative Scoutmaster or ASM could tent with a Scout. That's clearly not the intent and purpose of the G2SS and YP rules.

"Parent or guardian" has a very clear meaning in general usage. If you use a very loose interpretation of "guardian," then it seems that any temporary guardian could sign permission slips, medical forms, etc. That's clearly not how things work.

Lots of contradiction in the wording throughout the G2SS and even on the permission form.

Unless you are the author of the document, I doubt if you know what the intent and purpose of the document is.

"Parent or guardian" Do you see the word legal? I don't. And as I stated, this is inconsistent throughout the G2SS. This should be corrected by National then there is no question.

Yah, I'm not really sure that da office in Irving needs to breathe for everybody in the country, eh?

This is one of those places where we as adults are expected to use our brains.

Is lettin' a lad tent with his grandfather or uncle who was sent by his parents as his designated adult "guardian" for the weekend an added risk to the boy? No. It can be safely assumed that grandpa has a lot more private "access" to the lad at home and other family functions.

Is lettin' a lad tent with his grandfather or uncle a liability risk to the scout camp? Not unless there's a risk of the adult molesting other people's kids. It's not our responsibility to supervise or overrule the judgment of da parents.

Is not letting the boy tent with his grandfather or uncle and making him sleep alone or with another boy an added risk to the boy? Yes. We can think of all kinds of scenarios from just bein' scared by nightly noises to sleepwalkin' to critters to gettin' cold to not havin' medical/emotional support where this would put the boy at added risk of harm.

Is not letting the boy tent with his grandfather or uncle and making him sleep alone or with another boy a liability risk to the camp or scouters? Yes. It's fair to say that a reasonable person would not let a young child who has never done so before sleep on his own outdoors in an unfamiliar environment, especially in direct violation of the instructions of the parents and the desires of the temporary guardian present.

Yah, this stuff is just common sense, eh? Why would you ever separate a lad from the relative he came to camp with?! Yeh don't need a written paragraph from Irving giving you permission not to be a buffoon. If this worries you, get da written permission from the parent and then get on with things.

The rule is meant to protect da safety of the lads and more directly the reputation of the adults in all those other situations where it may be tempting or expedient to have a lad who is not related to you in your tent (not enough tents, homesick, etc.). Those situations put your reputation and da reputation of the program at risk; not respondin' to those situations can in rare cases enable a predator to become more bold. So the guidance is good, eh? Yeh should follow it. Just follow it with your brain turned on.

Beavah