More and more some posters reflect current societal attitude

While I can pretty much shrug on the politics forum about some of the comments and attitude, it really bothers me how often we are seeing similar attitude and rudeness on the other forums. Most recently, see the connected discussions, now turned into something truly less than scout like in my opinion, regarding uniforming at boards of review.

Maybe I really am out of it. But, if we have these kinds of responses to something such as this, how do we really respond to things far more serious? And, how much of this apparent attitude get shown to the scouts? A few individuals seem to really get a grip.

The anonymity and distance tend to add to the lack of civility. In addition, people cannot "read" the inflection of our voice and cannot feel the context of the comment. Regardless, we should take note and make a conscious effort not to offend. Without, of course, lowering our standards :)

• 2 weeks later...

Skeptic, which ones ARE the 'connected' forums? I'm trying to figure out what you were addressing. I think the answer that was just given is correct.

Edited: Oops, I just figured it out. I remember that discussion. It wasn't that important to me so I mostly ignored it. But I understand what you meant.

Sometimes it is impossible to predict what detail will be very important to one person and not to another. And if that someone claims it is acceptable to ignore that detail, the first person might take that personally. I chalk it up to thin skin as well as the reasons that were given previously regarding voice, tone, and inflection.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I would agree with the OP. While I am not aware of the threads he is referencing, I have personally taken "time outs" from these boards for the very reason that a good number of regular posters seem more inclined to want to debate, degrade, and call-out those that have different opinions than their own, instead of offer constructive feedback.

Aside from being un-scoutlike, it serves no one but the aggresive poster's ego to place such things on these boards. This should be a place to come together and learn from each other's expiriences and grow the program.

The longer I am in scouting, the less tolerance I have for those that feel the need to be rule nazi's, uniform nazi's or any other self-appointed rule enforces within the organization. Hey if it works for you, then great. Just don't force it down the throat of others because you have a need to be "right". Do not preach it as gospel, unless you can reference an actual written BSA policy regarding the matter at hand. Above all - be civil to each other and we can advance the cause to which we are drawn.

Funny that I feel I have gotten some of the best scouting advice and felt disgusted by the adults we have in the program - all from the same forum. That speaks to me that everyone needs to type as if the person you are responding to is a parent standing in front of you, not a nameless / faceless entity in cyberspace. It would do us all good.

OK - jumping down off the soapbox for now.

Dean

deanr

I have a thick skin for most of the stuff directed to me or I overhear, except on uniforms

For the past year when someone points out a uniform issue I kindly ask them to show me there official BSA Uniform Police Badge.

The only thing on the uniform that not allowed is a bobwhite patrol patch given to me at woodbadge.

Ooooh, the classic human natural instincts, fight or flight. Some of us scouters (& scouts) get stuck in the middle where our Scout's Laws confuse us whether we should be "brave" and stay and help or be "courteous" and flee as well. Ahhhhh, such dichotomy!

... that's why I told my scouts that if I had a chance to add the 13th scout law ... it should be ... a scout is respectful! But then, even that won't help some of the posters on this forum. After all, the other 12 scout laws should have done the trick, eh? As with Packsaddle, my ignore filter goes up. Can't remember when was the last time I ventured into the Politics Forum.

I've been on-line for almost 20 years, a bit before the Internet was opened up to everyone.

I have not seen an increase in rude behavior. I've had to deal with jerks on-line pretty much from day one.

What I have not seen change is newbies coming on-line and mistaking basic, acceptable on-line behavior as being 'rude' or 'mean' (when it wasn't). The burden is on the newbies to learn what is and is not acceptable behavior, not demanding that those of us on-line conform to whatever their concept is of acceptable behavior.

It's no different then going to a foreign country and expecting the natives to conform to your standards.

Well I just read this subject and I think I'm the guilty party. Hard to tell since that discussion was a few days ago. Still, my apologies to skpetic and all for the tone of my post. I will try and do better.

I do think tones and attitudes have changed on how folks carry discussions on forums. Part of it is I kind of feel like we are bit of family, so forgetting many folks may be reading on the forum for the first time, we develop bad habits. I also find that I'm trying to write 10 minutes worth of a response in two minutes because I in the middle of something else and I don't take the time to reread what I've written. So I will try an slow down and consider the impact of the tone as well as the intent.

Have a great day all.

Barry

I also find that I'm trying to write 10 minutes worth of a response in two minutes because I in the middle of something else and I don't take the time to reread what I've written.

Yah, I think this is common, eh? Leastways, I do it all the time. And then sit there wonderin' "Well, why did he respond like that?" when it was because of a turn of phrase that I was typin' with a smile but which came across like I was bein' an ....

I do sometimes think the animated discussions in Issues & Politics spill over. It's hard sometimes to separate da two if I&P got all personal.

Still, I think a lot of it is what emb021 points out, eh? There are just a lot of folks who haven't yet figured out da new media. Email and forums and such are just different than print media or letters. But a lot of folks read 'em like they're readin' a letter, and then get offended by the tone largely because it's much less formal and less couched in niceties.

Last set is those who hold their ideas very close, eh? If someone holds their ideas so tight that they consider them a part of themselves, then postin' 'em on a large public forum is goin' to give 'em nothing but heartache. Ideas on a public forum are going to be questioned, and challenged, and argued, and expanded on. But if yeh hold your ideas so tight, it's easy to mistake that for a personal attack and then respond inappropriately.

B

Adding to what Beavah said.

First off, there are the limits of the technology, something that many newbies don't get. On-line communication is often short and to the point. When you had to get on-line with a 300baud modem, and usually with no ability to edit (and forget spell checkers), the tendency is to be to the point and not craft a long and wonderful response. Twitter, with its limitation on the amount of text, is in some ways a throw back to this. (even on Facebook I've found problems with the space limits on wall postings).

Second, I would agree that a big problem is many people think they know something is RIGHT, and will get defensive if challenged (fight or flight as someone said). We have another thread on BSA myths, and there are many. I know when I do training, fixing peoples misinformation and misassumptions is always a part of it (had to do it a week ago at Venturing adult training. Will probably have to do it again this weekend when I do that training again with another council). Too many people either didn't learn from their training or bother to read the materials, and so get bent out of shape when their misinformation is challenged on-line. (a big source of the 'you people are so rude' responses).

I guess I'm a little different. No, I don't like being wrong. But I also don't like passing along wrong information. So while I don't like when its pointed out I'm wrong, its stuff I have to accept to ensure I'm not misinforming others.