AHG and Boy Scouts... What are u doing with them?

We have all returned from our summer breaks and gotten back to more regular meetings and the such. However, I am not seeing much chatter (on this board or others) on what impact on the "memorandum of mutual support" with AHG really means. I had expected this topic to be discussed a bit more once summer was over. So I have two areas of questions I want to throw out for comment.

How many BSA units are chartered at the same place they also have AHG? Are you actively seeking to work with them; or them to work with you? If not, are you planning to? Why or why not?

If you did decide to work with a AHG unit, what types of activities would you consider (or not consider). Would you prefer they work with the troop OR a crew if you have one; would it matter? Has anyone had any input from their council or district on this front?

Here's a earlier thread

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=243866&p=1

Not many American Heritage Girl units around here. According to their website, there are just 2 in all of the New England states so we have not seen or heard of any AHG units, so this is a non-issue for us.

My $0.02

My church has an AHG startup, but no Scouting.

Got to remember, AHG has the same age reach as Scouting, so you have to look at the Packs as well.

I would think:

- Age appropriate activities.

- Mutual advancement opportunities.

- Fundraising.

- Service to the Chartered Partner.

According to their website there are only 13 AHG troops in my state, and none (or maybe 1, not sure) in my entire council. So it hasn't really come up. I suspect this is another example of a de facto local policy - in places where AHG has a stronger presence, they probably were already working out their relationship with scouting. I don't know if they have their own internet forum (bet they do though), but you might actually get more response to this question by approaching AHG troops to ask how this matter has impacted them, rather than how it has impacted most scouting groups.

Personally, I don't feel that a "memorandum of mutual support" means a whole heck of a lot past the political objectives.

Practically, there are only 2 AGH Troops in the entire state of Illinois. Neither of which are in my council.

There are 8 GSUSA Troops in the school where our Pack is chartered. If we are going to "actively seek" working with another youth organization those GS Troops will be it.

• 3 weeks later...

Several of our families were excited to find out about the memorandum. Our pack has "voted" to do joint activities with the AHG Troop that we are starting. Many of our families will be doing both. Right now, we'll do outdoor activities together. We tried to charter the new AHG troop with our pack's (and Troop's) Charter Organization but there was a hold up with the insurance liability. So we're now going to be chartered by a church in our small town. We have many families excited about this!

Melissa

Our CO has had a BS troop, a CS pack and an AHG troop for many years. Many of the more active families have kids in two or all three programs, so there has been a natural cooporation and coordination between the units since long before national did anything. Now what is changing in our area is that there is an AHG girl Venturing unit starting up.