service hours and school/church requirements

I'm sorry Sherm but to me that argument doesn't hold - Participation in BSA Overnight Camping IS the prerequisite for the OA eligibility, isn't it?

And John, that's what I'm saying. One it depends on the youth - and their personal growth, and the kind of service; and secondly in most cases I'm sorry but for me if it's already being double dipped, or triple or even quaternary, then yes, isn't it more about working the system than the youth attempting to DO Community Service? I don't know - you'd have to show me the kid and the situation.

And for my son, there are so many hours out there that he does regularly that it is strange to me that people are worried about getting their hours and the idea that it would be necessary to double dip this.

Gunny, you are absolutely right. I used that example to illustrate how a zero-tolerance policy on double-dipping could be taken too far. If I actually told Johnny the First Class Scout that his camping nights didn't apply to OA eligibility because he had already used them to earn First Class, then I would get a barrage from Johnny, Johnny's parents, and probably the Troop Committee as well, and I would deserve it!

Gunny, you are absolutely right. I used that example to illustrate how a zero-tolerance policy on double-dipping could be taken too far. If I actually told Johnny the First Class Scout that his camping nights didn't apply to OA eligibility because he had already used them to earn First Class, then I would get a barrage from Johnny, Johnny's parents, and probably the Troop Committee as well, and I would deserve it!

Extremely poor example sherm. And an ever worse retreat on your part!