We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...

...We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by the Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Had to go to work today.

As you can imagine, working with mostly male co-workers, many with military service in and being the only guy who speaks with a British accent. I get my fair share of having my leg pulled.

More than once today I was informed that "We kicked your ..."!

While I was born and raised in England, I am the product of two Irish parents!

Lord knows that at times the Brits treated the Irish very badly and the struggle for Irish Independence was at times really hard.

I of course wasn't around. I am named after the first Irish President Eamon De Valera (Not sure why I got an extra N?)

Who was born in New York!

Th Irish have long looked across the pond, knowing that the Americans won their Independence and knew in time they would win theirs.

I was overjoyed this week when Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney was sworn in as U.S. ambassador to Ireland.

The ties between the US and both England and Ireland are strong.

"America is a shining city upon a hill whose beacon light guides freedom-loving people everywhere."

Happy Birthday!

Ea.

Emmon,

If you study the time period, you will see that much of English society was sympathetic to our Revolution. Certainly, it was understood that the Tory government mishandled the whole thing.

As far as those co-workers telling you we Kicked English Butt...

First, WE were English citizens at the time;

Second, there is a strong likelihood that we won because the Howe brothers were Whigs and kept letting Washington escape annihilation in the early years;

Third, English public opinion was with the "rebels".

Fourth, it was the principles of the English constitution that began the whole effort.

So, Happy Fourth of July!