Greetings from NJ

Hello fellow Scouters,

I started in Scouts as a Bobcat back in the mid-70's. I worked my way through the ranks and got my Arrow of Light. I crossed over and joined Boys Scouts. Over the course of the next several years I worked my way up to the rank of Life Scout. Unfortunately do to adult politics in the Troop and a personal issue that I had with the "powers that be" I left Scouts as a 16 yr old Life Scout with 23 merit badges. Unfortunate!

Time passed .... tick tock ... tick tock. Next thing I knew I myself had a son who wanted to join CubScouts. Since we live in the town where I grew up - my son actually joined the same Cub Pack I was in as a child. Given my work schedule I had to decide between volunteering to help out with Scouts or his baseball team. I made, what I believe was the best decision of my life. Truth be told ... the pack chair came to me and said "hey you were a Scout right??? Excellent you're an Asst CubMaster now."

Anyway ... my son got his Arrow of Light and crossed over into my old Troop. I, of course, came with him and volunteered as an ASM. Within 2 yrs our SM's sons both made Eagle after which he stepped down. Needing someone to step up, I had a long talk with my wife - and especially my son - and stepped up. I'm in my 3rd year as SM now which have been some of the best years of my life! My son is now a Life Scout and is deciding on an Eagle project. Over the course of the last 3+ years our Troop has grown from 45 Scouts to over 70!!! I must say that I'm fortunate enough to have 13 ASMs!!! Yes the Dads in my town do a great job of supporting us - and for that I will forever be thankful.

So ... I found these boards a couple weeks ago and finally decided to join the party. I'm glad to meet all of you and look forward to lots of interesting and informative discussion.

SMNJ

Welcome aboard SM in NJ. Great Scouting story :cool:. Thank you for volunteering your time and expertise for our kids. We really appreciate it, and we think it's well worth the trouble.

In my opinion, this board consists of perhaps over a million years of scouting experience that you won't find anywhere else in the world. Thanks for joining us.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a Scoutmaster in New Jersey also. I will have 10th years with my Troop come March and three years as SM come June. I was an ASM for six years. My son made Eagle four years ago.

Sounds like you have a very strong program in your unit. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Will gladly say "hi" to Bruce ____ ? You seem to have me at a disadvantage. Do we know each other?

SMNJ

acco40

Senior Forum Member *

RE: Greetings from NJ

Posted: Friday, 2/15/2008: 1:59:44 PM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome - say high to Bruce for me.

Wasn't quite sure if that was a reference to The Boss or if acco40 had figured out what Troop I am from and actually knows a Bruce from our Troop (I do know of several). Usually you don't get alot of people from Michigan making Springsteen/NJ references. : - ) Besides ... Bruce is spending most of his days now in LA with BonJovi!

SMNJ