Tell BSA National what you THINK...

I just got back from the National Meeting in Orlando, and the executives are very interested in hearing from the membership on any and all issues. The marketing presentation was excellent and they have a web vehicle to sort through all comments and suggestions that a BSA member wants to propose. Refer to the following link.

http://ideas.scouting.org/

We were all assured in the General Meeting that ALL ideas are read and discussed for viability and inclusion in the program every Monday. So, I'm just passing the word on and pleased that we do have a legitimate voice in the National office.

David C. Scott

Currently it's only available to BSA employees. The FAQ states that it will open up to everyone with a MyScouting login, but that hasn't happened yet.

From what I've seen of the employee-posted ideas, it does seem that feedback is being considered and at least acknowledged by staff at National.

It appears that this is still in BETA; but look forward to it being open for comment from rank and file, not just those with BSA credentials. Saw some really good ideas on there, and some I am not sure which planet they live on. Still, everything needs to have a glimpse to find what fits.

One I particularly like is the suggestion to have a National team to work closely with councils in trouble, not just criticize or send them paper orders and suggestions. I actually suggested that for camp problems in councils, as every camp lost is another nail in the coffin of keeping "Outing in Scouting". Time will tell.

The login form says it's only open to BSA employees, but some of the questions appear to be from volunteers (e.g., one fellow who says he's a Venturing crew CC). Looks like staff may be pushing questions to the site for general consumption and feedback, but I don't know for sure.

I really hope it's the latter - that the ideas floated aren't coming from pros - because some of them are the most dunderheaded things I've seen in a very long time, while others reveal a lack of Scouting knowledge that's embarassing.

"Why don't they just read the Scouter.com forum?"

I agree, scoutldr. I'm tired of sending my suggestions to the deaf ears and blind eyes of Council and National. They should just review the Scouter.com forums where they'll not only see the most pressing issues, but they'll get the resolutions as well from volunteers who have actually lived the program.

I'm sure that they could lurk here but I think we should remember that we are a small self selected group that usually doesn't have a unified opinion on much of anything except that we (with a few exceptions) see scouting as an important part of our lives and the lives of others.

Frankly, I think they need to be taking a long hard look on why the numbers are declining and perhaps ask the heretical questions about whether the membership policies are hurting more than helping. Even if there was universal agreement with that in this forum (and there is not) it would be such a small voice that It would be ignored. The only way that voices will be heard on major issues is through the chartered organizations and the councils.

On the other hand, in some small things this forum does get noticed by national. A month or two ago there was discussion of a flaming necker ceremony prompted by a U-Tube video of a very dangerous practice. Through this forum it came to the attention of the national Health and Safety Committee. Look at the Safe Scouting page:

http://www.scouting.org/HealthandSafety.aspx

Hal

"Who gets to go to the National Meeting? Is it open to any member who wishes to attend?"

Its mainly the council bigwigs. The Council President, Council Commissioner, and Council Exec are all supposed to go. Other council leaders should also go.

Rank and file, not really.

As noted, you need to get approved to go.

"Until they open up the Innovation Engine to volunteers, there is a version for volunteer input on the Scouting Community at myScouting.org. "

I asked the people running the Innovation Engine booth.

There are no plans to open it up to volunteers. Mainly because they just don't have the manpower to do so. ALL the items posted there are reviewed and answered by the staff. Its not quite the same as a forum where people are just discussing things amoung themselves.

They noted there is the forum at myScouting.org. But to be honest, I haven't used it much as I don't find it very easy to use.