The idea of transferring a problem to another unit concerns me.

I've never had to "fire" a parent before. A couple have had the grace to quit before it came to that. I have been in the position of dismissing a Scout from the troop. I intentionally did not bring up the idea of transferring to another troop. If a boy's behavior warrants dismissal from our unit, I'm not going to foist him on the guy down the road. In this situation, the dad asked about transferring and asked me if I would tell the other SM what had happened. Because the boy was being dismissed due to repeated, serious safety issues, I said told the dad I felt an ethical obligation to share -- as objectively as possible -- what had happened with the next SM. To my knowledge they have never joined another unit.

Per policy, we sent the Scout Executive a letter explaining why we had dismissed the boy and asking that he be removed from our charter. I suppose if he ever turns up at another troop, that letter would be attached to his transfer records.

There's a fine line between sharing a real concern and gossip. I think this is something you have to be very careful with.

Twocub, I have to tell you that I believe your assumptions about your letter being attached to any future transfers is incorrect. Future troops would probably get a scoutnet report, but unless the new troop contact you directly, or unless you live in a very small town environment and the transfer is within that small environment, or unless you are in a district position that causes you to see other units' rosters on a regular basis, you'll probably never know if the scout in question joins a different troop.

>>I've never had to "fire" a parent before. A couple have had the grace to quit before it came to that. I have been in the position of dismissing a Scout from the troop. I intentionally did not bring up the idea of transferring to another troop. If a boy's behavior warrants dismissal from our unit, I'm not going to foist him on the guy down the road. In this situation,

I don't see a conflict between our positions, Barry. To my way of thinking, the more information everyone has the better. It is not my intent to poison the well for the kid, but his behavior was such that I could not in clear conscious let him go to another troop without making the leaders there aware of our experience. If the Scout in question seriously injures himself or another boy, does it really matter if it happens in our troop or the next?

You may be right, LisaBob, the boy may be in another troop in another district by now. After my conversation with the dad, I would not be surprised he would try to keep me out of the loop. But I can't help what I don't know about.

We are a good-sized suburban area with four troops within three miles of us. One of the effects of that some boys (actually parents) tend to look for greener grass when they hit a bump in the road. The SMs generally give each other the courtesy of letting the others know if one of their Scouts transfers. Usually the communication between the SMs isn't too serious -- the kid is angry he didn't get elected SPL, or I won't let him take three citizenships and communications at summer camp. I always tell a Scout wanting to transfer to our troop they should contact their old Scoutmaster and let them know what's up because I will certainly talk to him. For one, it's the courteous thing for the Scout to do. Secondly, it lets the boy know if there are skeletons in the closet, now is the tme to get them out. Overall I think it is a healthy thing and avoids the kind of dumping Scoutldr brought up.

I hear what you are saying about second chances, Barry. Every Scout who has transferred to our troop has thrived and most who transferred out are doing well. One boy who had burned some bridges in our troop moved to another and is now SPL there. A lot of times it's about chemistry. A lot of times it's about a fresh start. Other times the problem is with the guy in the mirror and a new mirror isn't going to change anything.

We need to give boys an opportunity to land in a troop where they can be successful. I think full disclosure only helps that process.