NEED ADVICE ON SPECIAL SITUATION!!!!!

The information Mile High has provided should be read by as many Scouters as possible. The information is valuable in helping folks understand what to watch out for.

That being said, I feel I must defend myself a bit. I was not responding to the whole issue of teen depression and suicide, I was responding to just this one case. As a result, it may have appeared my answer was incomplete for those looking for knowledge about prevention.

Nor did I say counseling is not needed. Had we been talking about suicide prevention as a general topic, I would very much have been suggesting that counseling be recommended. Again, I was responding to this singular case where being bombarded with suggestions to seek counseling can actually serve to close off communications - there is no doubt the lad and his family have already been told to seek counseling, and for that matter, may already be in counseling (something that is highly likely - in most cases, hospitals don't release patients that have tried to commit suicide without arranging for counseling). To be told after the fact by well meaning friends to seek counseling is often seen, rightly or wrongly, as an attack.

And finally, no - not just lump along - because frankly no one can. It will always be in the back of your minds that Joe Scout tried suicide and you'll always be wondering if he's going to try again - and where. No matter what, you will be being extra mindful around him. BUT - my point is to not allow that attempt to change your relationship with the Scout - and that's something everyone struggles with. It's much easier to keep an eagle eye on that lad while keeping just a hawks eye on the other lads, it's much easier to keep the lad away from sharp objects, it's much easier to let sympathy become an overriding factor in the relationship. It's much easier - but in most cases it's the wrong path. I have yet to have a patient tell me that they are appreciative of the extra attention and caution that others show around them. What they do tell me is that they close themselves off to people who start treating them differently - and that means they're closing themselves off to their friends and relatives and people that they need to stay in their lives to provide some stability.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic