My question is, where does it say that you have to be a para-military unit to march in step with everyone else. Come on, get off your anti-military kick.

But if you must, then I guess we will have to exclude a few more things from the scouting program. Retreat at camp and all the bugle calls.

I am sorry if I am wrong because i think it is sharp looking to have a group of scouts walking in cadence, all in step together, and presenting the colorguard. One last comment, when you see the flag passing by, stand up, and take off any NON-uniform hats. Quit being disrespectful.

BW -

The unit I serve does not march in parades, actually. It's a camp staff-based Venturing crew, with members scattered all around the region, and it's located in a neighboring district.

I'm sorry that you are still misinterpreting and reading far too much into my post.

Well if I get it right, scouts are not supposed to march in step. They are hardly ever in full uniform, even though the regs say that you either wear your uniform or you don't, and why on earth would you want to purposely do something half-assed? If you walk in a parade you look like a dope. If you walk out of cadence you look unorganized. If you are an unfocused group looking this way and that you look lost and confused. If you are like a lot of packs and troops I have seen, walking with scout shirts un-tucked with blue jeans on picking up candy and stuffing it in your pockets......Pretty unimpressive.

Scouts probably shouldn't march in a parade if they don't plan on marching in a parade- just like they shouldnt plan on camping if they don't plan on camping. Bad marching is as sorry as bad camping, but at least with camping hardly anybody sees you except the squirrels.

You guys abused old Lem a while back about his idea of there being general standards of courtesy and manners. You said that all that was relative and regional and cultural and what not. Well marching is marching no matter where you go. The steps might be a little different. But the idea is the same: Do you look disciplined, respectful, obedient, and orderly? Are you a team? Do you practice leadership that can be manifested in basic drill? Do you have pride in your appearance? DO you show dignity and bearing in your manner of speech and your posture?

All these things are universal- and a parade is an occasion to show off how your group positively relates to the community and to each other.

Just showing up and being seen is not only NOT ENOUGH, it would be better not to show up at all if you can't really DO YOUR BEST. People expect more from scouts because scouts claim in their solemn oath to do their best.

Walden Pond