This month will be 1 year since I was last at the troop meeting. Last night, while I was driving my son and another scout to perform our fundraising duties for the troop, we reminisced the time when we three and other scouts sat at the campfire and tell Aggies jokes and just to shoot the breeze until the wee hour of the night! We laughed, we joked, we carried on ... they were too old to sing or perform skits, but they were up to the challenge of telling collegiate jokes!

My apologies to Barry, but I need to use his famous line.

I miss this scouting stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

E. ...

Thanks for the offer and very tempting, but the missus has this thing against extreme cold temperature.

All,

I guess that I had to be very careful with the old adage ... "Be careful what you wish for!" Well, last night, after a year of absent from the troop, I received a call from a committee member. He asked me to come in to talk to the committee. They are ready to ask me to step in as the Troop SM. I'm not sure how to react. I will come in of course; however, I have been informed from one of my best friends in the troop that they offered to the positions to others in the troop and there was no taker. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted. Right now, the later is the likely candidate. My friend also mentioned the fact that the committee had been trying to get the SM and the CC to consider me several months back. They kept responded that they did try to talk to me. You guessed it ... the answer ... no ... they didn't talk to me. Believe it or not, this will be the third time that I was told of this. My legs have already been pulled twice. First time, I was told that the SM was going to call me to talk to me about the position. I had to go through some soul-searching and finally came to a conclusion that I had to let bygone be bygone. That was 4 months ago. Again, two months ago, another person told me that the SM will be talking to me. It came and went. The more I told you folks the more I am having doubts. Sometimes, I guess that one needs to take the hint that one is not wanted by the SM and CC? Here is the kicker. Both are stepping down!

To SM or not to SM, that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind,

To suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous scouting,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing, end them. To SM, to stay away;

No more; and by SM to say we end

1Hour

Okay, here's my take on the situation:

This stuff is for the boys, so quit looking backwards. Regardless of why you are being tapped out, accept it as a call for help from the boys who are on the verge of not having someone who cares as much as you do. All the others that said no are really saying the boys aren't all that important enough for their time.

Take the job, take the slings and arrows and do it for the boys. Trust them that in the long run they'll appreciate anything and everything you do for them.

You forgot the most important quote:

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'

Was there a man dismay'd ?

Not tho' the soldier knew

Some one had blunder'd:

Theirs not to make reply,

Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to do & die,

Into the valley of Death

Rode the six hundred."

The Charge Of The Light Brigade

by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Memorializing Events in the Battle of Balaclava, October 25, 1854

Written 1854

I kinda like Tennyson better than Shakespeare

:^)

Stosh

Yeah, but that's the chance you take...ain't it a rush?

It's always a choice, ya wanna go out fighting or go out with a whimper?

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" Admiral David Farragut, Mobile Bay near Fort Gaines, 1864, gave the famous order after seeing his lead ship destroyed by a torpedo (mine). The result was a Union victory over Confederate naval forces.

Nobody ever remembers those who give up before they try. :^)

Stosh

Listen to JBlake (Stosh)...

Anyways - if the current SM and CC are on their way out the door (and from your post, they are the only ones you have had issues with) then there is no one to stand in your way. Go be the SM and LEAD the troop the way you see fit.

It only takes a couple offers of being willing to step down and let someone else take the reins to silence most of the critics. I usually find those that have the most time to complain are those that spend the least amount of time 'DOING' for the pack / troop. Be a 'DOer', not someone that sits on the sidelines and says, "Gee, I wish our troop would do x,y,z differently."

You can only affect the outcome if you're in the game. No one ever won the day by sitting on the sidelines.

Best of luck...

Dean

Dean,

The SM and CC are not the reasons why I left the troop. I am not sitting on the sideline complaining. I agree. I can make the difference. I can put into practice what I have been preaching to many aspiring SMs and ASMs during my helping with the District's SM Specifics and OLST training. Yes, I can truly implement the ideals of Patrol Methods and Boy Lead that I have learned at District, at Council, and here. I can get back to the boys who grew up with me since Tigers and many of them are about to get their Eagles! I can go back to having fun with my sons in scouting and stop this basketball/soccer coaching nonsense. ;)

... I know ... I know ... so what am I waiting for?

I need to do a final soul-searching. The bane of my scouting existence are still in the troop (the ASM and his son), but on the bright side, as Obama has to build his staff ... so will I. ;)

Now, I am off to hold another pinewood derby workshop for those powertool challenged folks! This will be my 7th annual workshop! Two more and I am done with pinewood derby ... neah ... probably will continue long after!

1Hour

(This message has been edited by Onehour)

Not sure how relevant this might be?

I had been a Scout and Venture Scout in the 17th Fulham (Pioneers) Scout Group.

Had the best that Scouting could ever provide.

I was a young whippersnapper, happy to trot along on a Thursday night to help with the Pack that my church was involved with.

In the UK the Pack, Troop and Venture Unit are all part of one Scout Group (They were at that time.)

The Venture unit had folded, the Troop was down to no members and the Pack was very small.

The Group Scout Leader had died. The replacement was Charlie Read.

Charlie was older than dirt! He worked as a administrator for a local hospital. He was the person who during WWII had kept everyone in contact with each other by sending out a news-letter. He also served as the District Secretary something he'd done for a very long time.

He had been recognized by the Scout Association, with a Silver Acorn and the Silver Wolf.

The Committee had taken on the task of raising money after the war to build a Scout HQ as a memorial for one member that had died in a Japanese concentration camp. We had a HQ that was second to none and more money than they knew what to do with. They continued to raise money in part because that was for many of them how they spent their time. Sadly along the way they lost sight of what the money was for.

I was asked to return and serve my old Troop.

I really didn't like Charlie.

We were so very different.

He was really into details making sure that the i's were dotted and the T's were crossed. He was very much an old time Scouter, I was very young and like a bull in a china-shop.

We never had seen eye to eye in fact most times when he'd had to deal with me when I'd been a Venture Scout he would cast his eyes to Heaven and say a little prayer!

I did return.

Charlie and I did at times have our differences. We were so very different that this was unavoidable.

But looking back I now see that he was a better man than I. He put up with a lot from me. Sure at times he did cast his eyes to the Heavens and still prayed. I think he was praying for the strengths not to poke me in the eye!

With his help we managed to get the Committee to see what the money was really for. With his support we rebuilt the Troop and the Pack.

We worked together for almost 12 years.

I was heartbroken and did cry when I heard that he had died.

He never changed, he had his way of doing things, which was right. I now see that he was willing to give me the support that I needed to do what I thought needed done. At times he did have to reel me in a bit. But through it all he was a true Scout. He really did live the Scout Law and Oath.

I now also now that I'm never going to be as kind and as understanding as he was. I do really try.

I know that I'm a fr better person for having worked with him and learned from him.

I'm happy that I didn't allow my dislike for the person I thought he was, prevent me from returning.

Together we did a lot to serve the kids in the community where we lived.

Please don't think I'm trying to preach.

But I know for a fact if you do return and take the Scout Law and Oath to heart and think about what it really means. You can get past any differences that you might have with others. You might never end up feeling the same love and respect that I have for old Charlie (Who hated being called Charlie!) But the good you can do for the kids in your area and community really does make trying worth while.

Eamonn.

Thanks, E. It's nice to read your posting with Christmas music in the background. It puts it into the perfect perspective! I have always been the "Charlie" of the Troop. I'd bite my tongue and hold my judgement. Perhaps, it's my belief in the Oath and Laws that kept me away from the troop.

I found out that the Committee took the SM search process from the SM and CC. That's the reason for my name to be inserted. I thought and thought. I talked to my better half and I talked to her. I do believe that I am ready. By-gone be by-gone. I am to get back to the basics.

Believe it or not, I have a "Charlie" in my life as well; however, he was one of my former managers.

1Hour

A little update ... just had the meeting with the committee. I was told that there were only 4-5 people in the subcommittee who would show up, but to a very pleasant surprise, there were 16 folks, standing room only! It was an enjoyable hour of conversation. Not only the 16 folks, but what touches me is the number of folks who called throughout today and to encourage and provide me with their support. Well, the ball is on my court. I have two weeks to decide.

1Hour

• 2 weeks later...

I need your help. I have been struggling on this decision. I listed out all of the reasons why I should take on the Scoutmaster position. I listed out all of the reasons why I should not. I am struggling!

1Hour

Yes:

- Love scouting and what it stands for

- Love the scouts who have been with me since Tigers who are constantly asking me when I will come back to the Troop

- Love the outdoors

- Love to teach and see the brash/uncontrollable 7 years old grows into an outstanding 16 years old eagle scout

- Love the comraderie with other ASMs

- Love the parents who have been with me for the past 5-10 years who have been trying to get me back into the swing of thing

- Coming in with a new CC whom I have known for 8 years

- New crop of Webelos that includes a great set of potential ASMs

- Love to have a good excuse not to do the Honey Do's

- Have my boss' full support as well as my sons'

- Would be able to straighten the troop to the way it ought to be

- Preparing the troop for my 3rd son

and

- Love the time spent with my sons

No:

- Got a job that may not allow me that much time to spend with the troop as before

- Don't really care for long distance driving that a couple of the ASMs want to do (campouts that take 3-4 hours to get there)

- Don't care for a handful of older boys who are disrespectful

- Don't care for the same set of boys who really don't want me as the SM because they know that they will not have the freedom to do as they please

- Don't care for several of the parents who are there just to get their boys to eagle and out

- Got too used to sleeping in my comfortable bed to get back on that cold, hard ground!

- Don't care for the liabilities that one or two of the ASMs are willing to take on

- How to tell one or two of the current ASMs that I don't need their services any more

- Not fair to the boss who will now have to put up with my absences weekends on out. She has been a good sport for the last 10 years.

- The thought of the current CC and SM really don't care to have me back

and

- Don't care for the pair of father/son who have given me the reasons not to care for scouting any more

.... ugggghhhhh such is the dichotomy!

OneHour,

You'll have to make the decision, but I think you listed the deciding factors at the bottom of your Yes list:

"Preparing the troop for my 3rd son" and "Love the time spent with my sons".

Since we're all volunteers, there's a time to leave and a time to stay and fight it out. If your sons had all moved on and the environment had turned toxic, it might be time to volunteer on the District Committee. Since you have another soon-to-be Boy Scout son and you're concerned about his future Scouting experience, that changes the equation. If things in troop #1 are really ugly and your other sons are already moved up & out (or are about to), another consideration is finding another troop to start over.

You have positive support from 16 adults in the unit. Cultivate them as your core of support and they can help control the others. Since you want to make some changes, consider holding another meeting to discuss the new direction you would like to lead the troop and rationale behind it. Gently let them know you need their support in helping move things in the direction you all agree to before you will accept. If they agree, you have a green light to press ahead. Where you can, go easy. Change is tough.

Work closely with your CC and get his help dealing with unreasonable parents.

As for your ASM staff, recommend a separate meeting (with CC in attendance) to talk about your plans and expectations for their support and positions as role models. If any don't want to continue serving as ASMs, they can transfer to troop committee (if CC agrees) or take a break.

Some aren't going to like the changes and will leave the troop. No problem - you're better off without them if they aren't happy. Just continue to be kind and considerate as you help them find a new troop and handle the transfer. Your smaller troop will be stronger without the unhappy people aggitating in the background and you'll attract more members who want to be part of your unit.

Good luck, my friend! Let me know how it goes!!

-mike