Someone recently put forth the proposition that it is "creepy" for an adult to stick around after his son has left the program.

What is creepy behavior?

When I was kid, my neighbor was an old guy with a big wood shop. I'd go over and watch him build stuff. Some would say that it was creepy that an old guy would be willing to share his interest with a boy. I'm pretty sure that he didn't do anything funny to me.

You could argue that it is creepy for women to want to go camping with a bunch of young men. What are they after?

Many say that BP was creepy because he liked "boyology" and enjoyed watching boys at play. Is that any different than men going to a basketball arena and watching sweaty young men playing? It's pretty creepy for all of those sportscasters to want "locker room access" so they can be around a bunch of muscular men in various stages of undress.

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like he wants to become a leader but is unsure of the correct procedure, if the father of a former Scout is showing this much interest why hasn't someone approached him to become a warranted leader.

Or is the BSA so replete with leaders that it can afford to pass up an oportunity like this.

Of course, if the former father spends his time luking around the Scout hut furtively fumbling in his trouser pockets, a restraining order is probably a good idea.(This message has been edited by Chug)

"You could argue that it is creepy for women to want to go camping with a bunch of young men."  You can argrue that any behavior is 'creepy'.  I like to go camping because I love the outdoors. I was raised spending most of my time outside. About the only chance I get to go camping is when the boys go. My hubby did not go camping until I took him when we were in our 20's. He loved it (even though the temps fell into the 20's - hard on a S.TX boy).

As to watching kids: have you ever gone to an even at a nursing home geared to get the kid to come by? The smiles on the residents is a rare sight. They can again feel alive just watching the kids play. When my father-in-law need to spend a month in the rehab section of a nursing facility, I took my youngest son almost every day for a visit. The other residents enjoyed watching him play.  Adults need to play too. Some can no longer activly play so they just watch. 

To me the 'creepy' behavior is parents who do not care what their kids are doing. These wander the streets (I have seen as young as 5yos doing this). The parents don't care. Get to know the adults you kids spend time with. Keep an open relationship with your kids so they WILL talk to you if something makes them feel uncomfortable. Most predators take their time to get to the kids and can do things that can cause the kids to want to question. Be the one they come to for the answers. Learn the things to watch for. Enough of that.

I may fall into the 'creepy' catagory. I have always been a 'people watcher'. It helps me see that there are good people still around - Character is what you do when no one is watching'. I like to see if I can see peoples' character in action.

I guess I'm one of the creeps that stuck around after his son 'graduated'. I did this because the new SM was really green and he asked me to stay for the sake of continuity. I also stayed because there were seversl boys who hadn't finished yet and wanted me to stay as a resource while they finished Eagle.

After that, they just keep asking me to stay.

I'd much rather be CM again and I just noticed that the CO is looking for a new CM so I may jump back to the cubs. Or is that, like, super creepy?

Maybe I need to keep up appearances and just quit.

There's a guy I know who is deeply involved yet has no kids. He's an Eagle Scout who just believes in giving back. He's got some involvement with a troop, but mostly seems to concentrate on a lot of district stuff which is really great cause it frees up some guys with kids of their own from doing that. I applaud him for it.

One of the issues with Cub Scouting leadership is that we only get the best leaders for 5 years at the most. Just as they become effective leaders who understand the program, learn how to handle difficult parents and adults, learn how to make pack meetings exciting, they "bridge over" and leave the pack.

We could use more creepy guys who stay in Cub Scouting after their sons have moved on.

I don't see anything creepy about men without kids in the program being involved. And having kids in the program doesn't mean someone isn't a pedophile.

The best judge of creepiness is the boys in the unit. I've never seen it fail that the leader who creeps out the kids has something wrong. May not be pedophilia, but something.

I never trust anybody who isn't liked by kids and dogs. They always know a creep when they see one.

"Great big globs of...........

Greasy grimy gopher guts

Mutilated monkey meat

Little birdys dirty feet

Now that is extra creepy!"

Actually that sounds like lunch.

You need to find a new place to eat! ;)

My [biological] boys have both Eagled and aged out. One asked me if, since he and his brother had moved on (college, etc.), if I was going to leave the troop, too.

I've chosen to stay. I enjoy guiding my [other] boys - those who are still on the trail, and they seem to like me. I had a conversation with a mom yesterday about her son (new PL with scant leadership inclination - sigh). She stated unequivocally that she is so glad that I am the SM, and "the boys just love having you as their scoutmaster". She said that those are the boys' words - not her.

Creepy? I think not, especially if you maintain good communication with the troop, the parents, and the committee. Besides, staying involved keeps me young!