Our council camp hosts a haunted trail every Halloween. Troops come and select a stretch of trail and are the haunters. Guests are given a hay ride of horror through the camp and then enter a haunted house and then refreshments (Donuts and Cider) at the end. The haunted house is staffed by the summer camp staff and the scouts have a great time. Alot of the leaders and parents also have fun helping haunt the camp. The main thing the troops are reminded is not to scary because of the little kids that come through with their families. It has been a success every year and our troop is looking forward to it again this year.

Anyone else do this at their camp?

I've been to two scout-run haunted trails, and personally thought both of 'em were great! Apparently there WAS a problem with one of the troops getting a little too close to the walkers (thru the haunted woods), but I did not see it.

And honestly, I will never understand the parents that force thier kids to do something because mom or dad think they should be ready for it... sorry, off topic...

I WOULD recommend advertizing a 'less scary' ride, for the little ones getting thier feet wet, maybe at dusk, or at night but with less scary ghouls. Seems like Halloween events are all either Casper-the-friendly-Ghost or Dracula-n-chainsaws, and there is nothing in between for the not-quite-ready kids.

Although maybe have a not so scary guide who is willing to shuttle off any kid and parent that turns out not to be ready after all! Or remind the boys that if a kid is obviously scared, or hanging back from the crowd, or latched onto his adult, then maybe leave them alone.

We actually run a "Haunted Cabin," as our meetings are held in a log cabin. We have done this for the past 5 or 6 years for the cub packs in the area (recruiting opportunity). Everyone in the troop helps out, under the direction of the SPL, and we serve refreshments and have games. This year, looks like we will have approximately 90+ cubs go thru...