How do we really handle kids and Duty to God?

Merlyn's provocative post led me to thinkin' that it might be nice to share how each of us handles/would handle a young lad struggling with belief in God, or professing at some point to be atheist or agnostic durin' his scouting journey.

To clarify further, I'm not talkin' about someone who comes in with an agenda tryin' to join and then makes a stink about the Oath or somesuch. I think we all recognize that we politely say "no" to such folks. I'm talkin' more about unchurched kids, ambivalent kids, kids who at some point get rebellious or lads who are thoughtful and questioning.

Now before we get goin', I put this in the Program Discussion area deliberately, eh? I ask everyone to be courteous and not turn it into an "issues and politics" thread. Just sharin' ideas and techniques among fellow scouters. Merlyn, feel free to listen in and spin off issues & politics threads to your heart's desire, but please allow this one just to be a discussion among BSA scouters.

Beavah

I have done this before. The first thing I do is have a chat with the parents to make sure they understand the situation. They usually take the lead and that usually ends it as far as my involvement goes. However, if they wish me to, with their permission I am willing to make the boy aware that if he wants to talk about his questions, I am willing to listen and perhaps offer some support.

I may enter a more detailed post later on this topic. But I imagine most of what I could say will be brought up by others.

I think that the most important concept we as leaders need to keep in the forefront is that the Scouting program is a learning experience. The boys (and honestly, the leaders at well) are all on a infinite trail of learning and experiencing the Scout Oath and Law in our daily lives. Each member of Scouting is at a different point on the trail of learning what Duty to God and Reverent means. Our job as leaders is to help in the learning experience. There are many ways that can tranlate into our interactions with Scouts. Obviously we cannot be dogmatic and force our views on others. We do need to look for ways to expose the boys to activities that may heighten their awarness of a higher power.

Beavah writes:

Merlyn's provocative post led me to thinkin' that it might be nice to share how each of us handles/would handle a young lad struggling with belief in God, or professing at some point to be atheist or agnostic durin' his scouting journey.

I explain to my young Merlyns that some religions like Buddhism do not believe in God either, then I ask them to memorize a pantheistic definition of God that is not based on any supernatural stuff, so they have the OPTION to avoid getting caught in word games about "Duty to God." I posted these details recently in another thread:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=208782&p=3

Beavah writes:

I'm talkin' more about unchurched kids, ambivalent kids, kids who at some point get rebellious or lads who are thoughtful and questioning.

I use Baden-Powell's procedure:

Other Troops in the slums have lads of practically no religion of any kind, and their parents are little or no help to them. Naturally, these require different handling and methods of training from those boys in whom religion has been well grounded.

Here, again, Scouting comes very practically to the aid of the teacher, and has already given extraordinarily good results.

The practical way in which Scouting can help is through the following:

(a) Personal example of the Scoutmaster.

(b) Nature study.

© Good turns.

(d) Missioner service.

(e) Retention of the older boy.

See:

http://inquiry.net/traditional/b-p/scoutmastership/service.htm

I use a, b, & c.

In addition to (b) Nature study ("Religion of the Backwoods") and © Good turns ("Practical Christianity") Baden-Powell considered (d) Missioner service to be part of an irreligious Scout's "Duty to God." This is a Public Service badge that teaches Scouts how to care for invalids.

I don't use Missioner service, but I was always glad that when our Boards of Review included as many as four Christian missionaries (two married couples), they never took issue with professed Scout atheism.

A Christian missionary's method of reaching non-believers through personal example and good turns (like caring for the sick) is very similar to what actually works with atheist Scouts.

Kudu

I've had a kid who said "I'm not sure." That was at his Life BOR.

In his case, I asked his parents what he and she (divorced) were doing to help him. They didn't know he was off his moorings. He started going with other kids to their churches.

About a year later, he was working up his Eagle Project. I asked him about God. His response was "God's there, but we sure make it awfully confusing." Couldn't have agreed with him more.

Last I heard, he was in a non-denominational church, still searching.

As a Scouter who works directly with the youth (as Scoutmaster) I agree with Kudu that I "teach" by setting an example with my actions (words don't mean much to teenagers).

I make absolutely no attempt to "teach" the Scout about religion or religions - that is the duty of his family. The only acception to this is that I will instruct the boys on various traditions and customs certain religions may have and that it is our choice to determine if we wish to be respectful of those traditions and customs even if we are not members of that religious community.

Regarding the scout that said, "God's there, but we sure make it awfully confusing." - I'd go to church with that lad any day of the week.

Duty to God in our pack is pretty simple (which is how it should be for Cubs...) - we say grace before meals on campouts & at various events. If nothing else, a child should learn that humans cannot take credit for 100% of what they have & that God deserves a thank you from all of us. BTW - "grace" is more than just "thanks for the food...".

NC

I agree with Acco.

In every SM conference I've ever given, we have always discussed "Duty to God" (as well as Duty to my Country, Duty to Self, and Duty to Others). I tend to ask something along the lines of, "What do you think the Scout Oath means by 'Duty to God/Country/Self/Others'?

After some exploratory discussion, most Scouts will conclude that we all have the same duties to our country (for a Scout, this includes going to school and becoming prepared to be an informed, participating citizen), but different Scouts may well have different duties to God. Some Scouts go to Church once a week, some pray four times every day, others have a bonfire on the full moon. We have a religiously diverse unit, and the boys naturally develop a healthy awareness - and respect - for the beliefs of their patrol mates, which might be very, very different from their own beliefs.

Very occasionally, I have had a Scout who is honestly unsure what Duty to God might mean for him. Sometimes this is because his family are not churchgoers and do not participate in traditional religious rituals (praying, services, etc.). Sometimes (and this more common for older fellows) it is because the Scout himself is starting to ask the Large Questions and seek his own answers. In these circumstances, I listen and I try to get the fellow to think about the concept of Reverence from a larger persepctive. I always learn a lot when I listen.

As Barry often reminds us, I love this Scouting Stuff.