Boy Scouts prepared to launch marketing campaign to connect with digital-era youth

Boy Scouts prepared to launch marketing campaign to connect with digital-era youth

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/irving/stories/DN-boyscouts_12met.ART.State.Edition1.4d4d188.html?npc

http://tinyurl.com/6gvz9m

11:42 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 12, 2008

By SCOTT FARWELL / The Dallas Morning News

sfarwell@dallasnews.com

The Irving-based Boy Scouts of America realized something important recently: Kids don't climb trees anymore.

They don't hike, or explore muddy riverbanks, or spend lazy summers camping in the back yard.

Kids are online, electronically connected, and their time is in digital demand.

This morning, the Boy Scouts of America is rolling out a high-bandwidth plan to re-connect with the nation's youth. It's a plan that's already had repercussions: More than 40 employees at the national office lost their jobs last month.

"We haven't been very innovative, creative or nimble," said Chief Scout Executive Bob Mazzuca. "It's time to change that, and it's time to re-introduce the American people to the Boy Scouts."

The rebirth, he said, begins with marketing.

The Boy Scouts will roll out a MySpace-type social network site later this month that will allow Scouts, volunteers and alumni to connect and share stories. There will be advertising perhaps on MTV, YouTube and Facebook that will dust off the 1950s image of the Scouts.

With 5 million kids in Scouting programs, the Boy Scouts of America is by far the largest youth program in the world. Even so, membership has been trending down for a decade by as much as 1 percent a year.

"This isn't a desperate move on the part of the Boy Scouts," said Mr. Mazzuca. "We're going to survive, but if we want to survive and thrive, we've got to do these things."

He said the change has been painful for some Scouting staff members including the more than 40 people who lost their jobs.

Mr. Mazzuca describe those jobs as "mostly back office" type positions that will be obsolete when the Scouts move into a more digital form of delivering its message.

For example, he said, the group would no longer produce, print, bundle and mail Scout materials to its offices around the nation. Instead, the information would be available online.

Mr. Mazzuca said the Scouts would also work to diversify its ranks.

The Hispanic population boom in places like Texas and California offer both a challenge and an opportunity.

"If we don't figure out those communities all over the Sun Belt and across the country, then we will become a niche organization for the white, middle class," he said. "We want to serve all kids, and that's really what these changes are about."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If we don't figure out those communities all over the Sun Belt and across the country, then we will become a niche organization for the white, middle class," he said. "We want to serve all kids, and that's really what these changes are about."

Gee, I think we're mostly already there. Here's hoping that we can change this.

"It would be nice to have a data base of places near you that ranks different backpacking trails and campgrounds. Save us from re creating the wheel over and over."

Some OA Lodges, The Honor Camping Society of Boy Scouts, have such a resource. In other Council this type of information is sometimes available from the Camping Committee or by attending Roundtables.

For example, he said, the group would no longer produce, print, bundle and mail Scout materials to its offices around the nation. Instead, the information would be available online.

How much of a problem is this going to be for non-wired folks around the country? There's a whole generation of older adult leaders who don't have computers, let alone know how to surf the Internet or register for a training session online. And don't forget low-income or rural communities where Internet access is at the public library, if at all.

If marketing is going to be a new focus, then National needs to get that word to the councils asap. In my council, the Web site and bi-monthly Scouter newsletter are exceedingly disorganized and hard to use. It's improved substantially in recent years, but still muddled.

Knot Head: Have you tried Backpacker magazine's databases (www.backpacker.com)? Click on the "Destinations" link. It combines reader trips with staff write-ups. As a flatlander from an East Coast state without a national park, I sometimes get rather frustrated with Backpacker's focus on the West, mountains and national parks. But it's a good start, especially if a troop or crew is planning big.

Shortridge,

Much of that refers to the bin items (xx-xxx) which will be shifted from National to local budgets.

Marketing and brand identity of BSA has been part of Scouting since I was a youth. I can remember someone pitching the "Sustaining Membership" drives even in 1968, when I was a tenderfoot.

At one point my neighbor, a photographer, had a contract to market an above-ground wood stove... the first generation of what we see now as the super heavy duty fire rings. I was the model for that ... even then brand identity mattered. He had to airbrush out my Troop and city strips from the left side views, the Patrol patch from right side views, and the BSA strip and my rank from the frontal views (plus the BSA patch on my overseas cap).

Sorry for my ignorance - what are bin items?

I interpreted that statement as referring to forms, pamphlets, flyers, etc. - anything simple that can be put online and downloaded as a PDF, for example.

Brand identity is one thing, but good marketing communications on the local level is another entirely. If your national campaign is slick and sophisticated, but the locals not so much, that creates a disconnect and instant turnoff for prospective consumers (read: members).

I do wish the story had put the layoffs in perspective - 40 staffers out of how many? Anyone know?(This message has been edited by shortridge)

"Do you really think he wants to serve "ALL" kids?

If he does, that would be a HUGE move. In a positive way."

I certainly hope not. First off, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Second, you don't change to the point of ruining the program for some in a vain attempt to attract those that won't (This is what GSA is now attempting). Third, I think I know what you mean by that, and I certainly hope not.

Bin items are materials developed, printed and stocked by the National Council. Local Councils can order them in quantity for distribution as needed.

This is one example of a bin item:

http://old.scouting.org/commissioners/resources/13-500.pdf

In this case it's the "Selecting Cub Scout Leadership" pamphlet at the Commish site.

This is another example:

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/adults/~/media/legacy/assets/boyscouts/resources/20-121.pdf.ashx

This is the BSA "Wilderness Use Policy."

This is a third example:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/02-520.pdf

This is "Scouting for Lutheran Youth," a marketing tool for folks wanting to influence Lutheran churches to charter Scouting as part of their youth program!

FIVE DIGIT numbers, otoh, are items which at least once were supposed to be available for purchase by Supply Corporation: I often cite Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures #33088. It's a "for purchase" item and for many years has been.

Another for purchase items is the Boy Scout Handbook.

Here's where things are getting muddled these days: Let's take BSA Requirements #33215. It's a print publication you get at your friendly Scout Shop. National, though (FINALLY, HOORAY), placed it online, so you don't need to buy it anymore:

http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards.aspx

I hope this answered your question :) ... if not, I'll keep trying. Communication hasn't happened until the message received = the message sent.

OGE-"Some OA Lodges, The Honor Camping Society of Boy Scouts, have such a resource."

They phased that out a while ago. It's no longer the "Honor Campers Society" it's "Scouting's National Honor Society". ;-)

" There's a whole generation of older adult leaders who don't have computers, let alone know how to surf the Internet or register for a training session online."

I really don't think that this marketing campaign is aimed at them.

I'm still working on this BSA Brand thing?

Not sure if I'm there or not yet?

The other night I had the TV on in the bedroom. Charlie Rose came on PBS.

I like Charlie Rose mainly because he has some very interesting guests on.

That night he had Donald Keough on he was plugging the book "The Ten Commandments for Business Failure.

Keough has been a long time hero of mine! Not only is he Irish, but anyone who can get away with making as big a mistake as the "New Coke" was has to be admired!!

I have ordered the book.

One part of it reads:

""You will fail if you quit taking risks, are inflexible, isolated, assume infallibility, play the game close to the line, dont take time to think, put all your faith in outside experts, love your bureaucracy, send mixed messages, and fear the future."

I'm glad that it seems Chief Scout Executive Bob Mazzuca is taking note.

Eamonn.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Eamonn: I apologize - I misread the sentence about putting materials online. Thought it meant that some materials would only be available online, putting it out of reach of some folks. But if that stuff is available through the councils, and it's just a budgetary shell game, it seems less of an issue.

Clearly the social networking marketing effort isn't aimed at adults.

I'm not so sure that setting up a separate site is the way to go. Lots of youth already use MySpace, Facebook, etc. Breaking into that user base will be tough. Might have been simpler and easier to appeal to them on their own turf - setting up a Scouting MySpace page or network, for example.

It'll also take some serious work to get up and running. A true social network is only as good as the number and quality of its members. That'll take some heavy recruiting and promoting on the council and district levels.

"Mr. Mazzuca said the Scouts would also work to diversify its ranks."

What do you think he means by that? Is that about Tenderfoot - Eagle or something along the lines of the operation levels (district, Council, etc.)