The term "give back" has been used several times recently in various topics and has been mentioned periodically over the months and years. Those that use the term must have some kind of understanding of what it means. I hear it at Eagle boards of review too. "How will you give back to Scouting".

Scouts work and complete requirements and earn ranks. They work and earn merit badges. They work and complete service projects. They plan and carryout an Eagle leadership service project. They serve in positions of responsiblity. They plan events and lead meetings.

I hear in "give back" an implication that the Scout has taken something that must be returned. What is it that a boy has taken or been given that must be given back? Can someone explain in different words what "give back" means and exactly what is it that the boy is expected to do to meet the expectation?

I think those are good questions. To expand on the scenario a little, the vast majority of boys in my son's troop do far more community service than is required for advancement, and I suspect that is true of most other troops as well. I think my son has probably done about 200 hours (including working on others' Eagle projects) and he has not even started on his own project yet. He does recruiting at his old Cub pack when asked. And that is besides the things FScouter mentions. He "gives" to Scouting and the community, and Scouting "gives" to him; assuming he does make Eagle, I wonder (with FScouter) whether the "books" aren't "in balance" at that point.

I am thinking that they mentor the younger Scouts in accordance with the ideals of being boy led.

Hopefully some older Scout mentored them and the should mentor another Scout of hopefully Scouts.

But it sure as heck ain't required by National, so your right it's a chuck load of hooey.

When I say I want to "give back" I mean that I want to pay tribute to those men who were my scoutmasters and assistant scoutmasters by helping to perpetuate and strengthen the program. The only way I know how to do that is to provide boys with opportunities and guidance that help them develop into better men than they might otherwise become without scouting's influence.

I do this because I gained far more than I gave to scouting as a youth. Of course I can only really say that looking through the lens of some age and wisdom. Asking an eagle candidate how he's going to "give back" to the program borders on arrogance.

Wow! Let's try that again in English

I am thinking that they mentor the younger Scouts in accordance with the ideals of being boy led.

Hopefully some older Scout mentored them and the should mentor another Scout or hopefully Scouts. (plural)

But it sure as heck ain't required by National, so you're right it's a chuck load of hooey.

15 and 16 year olds who can give back can breed a culture of "let's make this better"

People desire to play on a winning team. The helping spirit of a Troop can perpetuate that uplift in a community. We are a tribal species, if the boy leaders set the course the young would follow.

Instead mostly I witness the spawn of the me generation as they try to find out what's in it for them. The surly creatures are winning.

The idea of immediate "give back" by the new Eagle Scout or a scout aging out of the program, is for the most part a manufactured element created by some leaders who, as Fscouter points out, believe that the scout "owes" us something.

It's not in the BSA program because it doesn't belong in the BSA program. A person does not have to give service back to scouting in order to "give back" the lessons of scouting.

A young person who takes the lessons of scouting and uses it to become a good student, an honest business person, an active citizen, a good neighbor, a good spouse and parent..."gives back" every bit as much as one that sticks around to mentor another scout or serve as an adult leader.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"by the new eAgle Scout or a scout aging out of the program is for the most part a manufactured element . . ."

Hey BeeDub, every element of the Scouting program is a manufactured element.

"Giving back" is quite a common thread when someone feels that the experience was life enhancing or life changing. I

I've worked with many sports officials who officiate to "give back" to the sport that they can no longer play. I know adults who help out with school activities to "give back" to the drama club or band which helped mold them.

Give back to Scouting? I'd say that is helping other boys get the most out of the program. Must anyone give back to Scouting? No. Should anyone give back to Scouting? Yes.

GW, does that mean that just because someone makes Eagle (or stays in the program through age 18) that they "should" continue as a Scouter? You say "should" rather than "must", but even the word "should" implies some kind of obligation.

This hits home for me because, hopefully, in a year or so my son will be sitting in an Eagle BOR, and he may well be asked what he is going to do to "give back" to Scouting. I am pretty sure that at this moment, he would not know how to answer the question. I am not sure how I would have answered that question myself at age 17 (and it was never asked; I did not make Eagle, though I did "age out" and became an ASM, briefly.) As it turned out, I had nothing to do with Boy Scouting from the time I started college at age 18, to the time my son joined Tigers, and even then I did not become a Scouter until two years later. I suppose one could say that I "gave back" by (successfully) encouraging each of my children to join the Scouting program appropriate to their gender, though only in my son's case does he appear to be sticking it out to the end. And then, of course, I did become a leader in the units my son was/is a member of. But somehow I don't think that the members of my son's (hypothetical) Eagle BOR are going to want to hear that his "giving back" will occur in 10, 20 or 30 years.

It's the same concept as the "lifelong ticket" in Woodbadge, where we keep creating items for ourselves to do: It's the challenge to a young man (or woman) to keep playing the Grand Game, taking things to the next level.

Where would our Scout Camps be if young men and women didn't step up to serve on the staff? What about the Rangers at Philmont, who help a crew inprocess, prepare for the trail, and accompany out the first couple days into the backcountry?

A challenge to "give back" also carries with it a second challenge in the background: What is the reason a young person does Scouting for so long? Is it simply a resume` builder, or is it something which demarks their values for time and forevermore?

I believe it is an effective challenge, and a proper one. There are thousands of niches a young man or woman in Scouting can fill. Last week at PTC I had the opportunity to meet the 2007 Western Region Venturing President. She's a backcountry Ranger, but was at Camping Headquarters because she had laryngitis. She had taken time to come over to the National Lutheran Association on Scouting annual meeting. Since she'd not had the Lord's Supper in some weeks, it was also a chance for Pastors Dick Wertz and Gordon Gross, both Philmont staff chaplains, to specifically minister to her. She has her Silver as well as the Venturing Leadership Award. She was giving back to the Grand Game, in her particular niche!

John-in-KC, of course we need young people to continue in Scouting, serve on staff, etc. There will always be those who will want to, either because they think they "owe" something, or because they just want to, or for whatever other reason. My question is, should a person who chooses not to do so, be made to feel like they are some sort of deadbeat because they didn't repay their "debt" to Scouting?

"GW, does that mean that just because someone makes Eagle (or stays in the program through age 18) that they "should" continue as a Scouter? You say "should" rather than "must", but even the word "should" implies some kind of obligation."

A better question would be "when should they?" Right away? That works for some. After college? That works for others. Some might never become Scouter but wind up in a position where they can offer an Eagle an internship or they convince their company to donate a few million to Scouting.

Giving can happen at any time and can take many forms.

Barry wrote, in part:

"On My I will do my best to do my duty to God and county, to help others at all times. I never saw giving back as a debt to struggle with, just a noble call to serve others before myself."

Barry, you nailed it again. :)

You will be able to tell those who really got the ethic from those who were doing the resume` building by their actions years from now!

I think many if not all of us want to see Scouts and Scouting be around to serve the youth that will follow.

The Lad who had his Eagle Scout COH this past weekend made mention of the fact that if and when he has kids that he hopes that they will be Scouts.

I had a great time in Scouts as a kid and have had a great time as an adult.

The adults who served me, were great people.

I have looked up to them and admired them for a very long time.

Still I never ever got the idea that I owed them anything.

I never got the idea that by me trying to live a good life that I was in any way repaying anything.

I have stuck around as long as I have, mainly because I have had fun.

Man I wish I could put my hand on my heart and state it was due to some noble and fine cause. But It's just not true.

I enjoy the young people I serve and have served. I enjoy spending time with the adults in Scouting, we have a great time.

Scouts and Scouting don't owe me anything and I don't owe it anything.

Maybe I'm just greedy? I know that I have taken a lot and I continue to take.

Sure I have been honored that young people are willing to spend their free time with me.

I have enjoyed watching them grow and become the people that they are.

I enjoy when we get together and re-tell the "War Stories".

Maybe I have got it wrong? I have tended to go with "Hey we can do this, it's going to be fun" More so than "Hey we should do this it will make the world a better place."

Some Scouter's talk about pay checks, in fact one the adults at the COH said it the other day. He seemed to think that a young Lad becoming an Eagle Scout was his pay check!

If there is such a thing? I see it as being seeing young people take on new challenges and grow into becoming adults.

I was talking to a young inmate the other day he said that he had been a Scout in Reading PA. I didn't in any way see Scouting as failing just because he was a convicted criminal. He said that he really enjoyed being a Scout and loved camping. He was a happy fellow, seemed to be a hard worker and was making the best of what his lot was.

Did he fail Scouting?

What would his "Give Back" be?.

He is still young, I have no idea what will become of him once he gets out. Maybe he will be yet another repeat offender or maybe he will be the best Dad in the world.

Eamonn.