I've recently become aware of several districts which hold annual competitions between units. These competitions aren't scout skills at camporees, but are more administrative in nature. Units are ranked each year according to criteria such as percentage membership growth, percentage rank advancement, number of Eagles, etc. and then the top ranking unit gets awarded a ribbon or some such recognition for the year.

Are any of you aware of such competitions?

Do you think it is a good idea?

Sounds like taking the idea of a "Quality Unit" (meet certainly clearly defined goals and achieve levels of quality or the like, which is frankly used in many orgs) where a unit works toward a set of goals and turn it into a competition where units are competing against each other.

Don't think its a good idea. Every unit is a little different, so this sounds a little unfair. I prefer units working toward a set of goals and being recognized for that. In fact, I like how with some orgs, there are different levels of such goals (met a certain set, and you are at Bronze level, met more of a set, you are at Silver level, and met even more of that set, and you are at Gold level).

My district does a unit of the year based on quite a few criteria. Things like camporee attendance, Klondike, summer camp are counted. Service projects play a big part. Improvement over last year can play a big part too.

Any unit that wants to play submits a form and the Dist. Commish makes the decision.

I suppose it all depends on the criteria used. I find it a bit disconserting that the criteria seem to be closely aligned with what I suspect are incentive goals for DEs. Membership, advancement, popcorn sales, etc.

I'd rather see criteria like, miles hiked/scout, miles backpacked/scout, camping nights/scout, backpacking camp nights/scout, Miles paddled/scout. High Adventure trips per patrol, etc. For Kudu, maybe a criteria for Patrol nights camped > 300ft from an adult :).

SA

Recognition is part of the game, but I don't think that competition among troops is too wise, particularly if we're counting Eagle Scouts produced. I've never felt that counting those particular notches on the belt is a good idea.

I like the Quality Unit style ... where the standard is set, and anyone who reaches it can be recognized. That's more of a Scouting style ... tell us what the requirements are, and let us do our best to achieve them.

BDPT00

"I like the Quality Unit style ... where the standard is set, and anyone who reaches it can be recognized."

Building off that, one thing I also like is when you have such standards, but have multiple levels. So if you met the first level, you get that recognition, but if you push further you could achieve the second level and so on. In the BSA, the basis for the Quality Unit award was the old Sea Scout Standard Ship award in the 1930s, later expanded to Senior Scout units unto the 1940s and 50s, which had 3 levels of standards to aim for.

I seem the similiar thing with Toastmasters "Distinguished Club" goals with 3 levels, and my fraternity's 3 levels for the Chapter of Excellence Award.

Way too many variables possible. If you are a large troop (50 scouts) and you add 10%, thats 5 scouts. For a Troop of 10, it could add 2 scouts and thats 20%.

If you are counting rank advancement, a younger troop of 30 could have 3 rank advancements per scout in a year. (first class first year) for a total of 90 ranks. Then, the next year if the trend were to continue, those same 30 scouts could only earn 2 ranks, as First Class to Star requires 4 months and Star to Life requires 6 months. The group that had 90 advancements now has 60, because of a downturn in program or because of the program?

I think trops should compete, on scout skills