Chartering Organization and The Scout Unit.

There is no such thing as a district position, district committiee members and commissioner staff and other district staff are registered with the council. Districts are only administration areas of a council, and do not have their own charter. I believe the same is true for region and area members, they are registered with the national council, but take that with a grain of salt because I cannot find anywhere that is written. CORs are voting members of the council and the district committee, but I know of none in my district that attends. That is one of my woodbadge ticket items, conduct Training the Chartered Organization Representative for the CORs in my district and bring in members of the district committee and the council to explain the function of each.

No District positions? I am a little confused-

Position code

61 District chairman

62 District vice chairman

75 District member at large

79 District committee member

81 District commissioner

82 Assistant district commissioner

(This message has been edited by ddibben)

Mr Dibben,

I don't know about the District Chair, but the District Commish and his ADC's are nominated IIRC by the Council Commish and approved by the Council Board.

What we call District Scouters (including those with specified positions) are Council Scouters by the rules... with assigments to District tasks and positions.

At least, to my mind that's a way to explain it.

Thank you, sir.

From the "District Nominating Committee Guidelines"

"3. The District Commissioner is to be elected as a Member-At-Large, but is offered for appointment and approval as District Commissioner by the Council Board of Directors through the recommendation of the Council Commissioner, and the concurrence of the Scout Executive. The District Commissioner is not elected at the District Annual Meeting."

I have a lot of BSA literature.

:)

Not sure what all this talk about the District has to do with the Scout Unit and the CO?

But as we have seen Threads do take on a life of their own!

I will admit that even though I know better, I do tend to view COR's as being "Unit Types".

To be honest most of the COR's in our area fall into the guys who wear a uniform. People like me who have been involved with a unit and kinda move into the position, many do wear other hats.

Then we have the guys who don't wear a uniform. Very often these are strangers who only come out when someone is upset about something.

Of course some are just names on paper (This seems to happen a lot in Cub Scout units)

As for the "Tabs" I wish we could do away with them!!

There isn't any adult ranks in Scouting.

A Cub Scouter doesn't out rank a Boy Scouter and a District Committee Member doesn't outrank a Boy Scouter.

At the end of the day we are all trying to do what we can to make the vision and mission of the BSA have real meaning and come to life.

All of the other organizations who make up the Chartering organizations share the same values as the BSA does.

If they don't? They have no business being CO's!!

The COR is very much the middle man /person who is the liaison between the two organizations.

The BSA provides the program, the CO selects people to deliver it, Councils and Districts provide support and training to help make it work.

Eamonn.